1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Best Eating Fish

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by SpaceCam, Oct 29, 2016.

1. NSBJohn

NSBJohn Pirate

my favorite is redfish followed by flounder. Although I've never caught one myself, offshore cobia is great!

2. My favorite in this order:

1) Cobia
    2) Snook
    3) Mangrove Snapper
    4) Sheepshead
    5) Redfish
    6) Flounder
    7) Speckled Trout

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

1. Snook
    2. Mangrove Snapper
    3. Red Drum
    4. Trout

4. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Fresh water -
    Walleye (obviously not available around here)
    Crappy
    Blue gills
    Bass (If the water is clean)

Salt water -
    Red Snapper
    Mangrove Snapper
    Flounder
    Red drum
    Trigger fish
    Black Bass
    Grouper
    Cobia
    Whiting

5. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

Agree with Bob. The key is FRESH LOCAL FISH for good eating. My favorite is Cobia.

6. gilman

gilman Matey

For me a fish caught and in my belly in 24 hrs are the best regardless of type. However I will say my preferred fish is any in the snapper family.

7. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

Agree 100% Captain. Throw it on the grill and if it ain't great, it is a lower level fish on the eating scale.

8. Michael Walker

Michael Walker Master Gunner

Fresh yellow fin tuna, slap it on a hot grill, butter, a little olive oil, seasonings,,yum yum

Shamrock likes this.
  9. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

I don't have ANY fish in my freezer. I'd settle for anything right now. Almost out of shrimp now too! omg!

10. jdham

jdham Deckhand

My 2 cents

1. Mango (don't know why but I love em, never had a bad one that I caught and prepared)
    2. Trigger (pain to clean but yum)
    3. Flounder
    4. Red (on the half-shell definitely)
    5. Grouper

All of the above I have tried grilled with just salt and pepper so I could get a real feel for how the fish tastes. Blackened is my fav prep though.

Haven't had a chance to try a snook on the grill yet so my list may change. Tuna is prob close to making the list too. So many to choose from...

11. Muggin Mullet

Muggin Mullet Treasure Hunter

Flounder, Cobia, Tripletail

I still haven't tasted Redfish or Mangrove Snapper. I catch a ton of them but for some odd reason I have a super soft spot for the Reds. I can't find it in myself to take one to the kitchen. I can't explain why so don't bother lol.

Sidenote - I caught a Yellow Jack in the keys this past summer and when I got him to the boat I muttered something about Jack Crevalle thinking it looks similar so must not be the best edible fish. The mate gave me an ear full and told me to trust in him and take it home. I was completely blown away with this Yellow Jack. Hands down my favorite fish atm. If you ever come across one, EAT IT !

12. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

Snook,Snook and more Snook.

13. cuttyhunk

cuttyhunk Newbie

I'm from cape cod, commercial fished those waters for 20 years I would say fluke in summer black sea bass early fall,then tataug in November,and lobster on the boat for breakfast, great times:sunglasses:oh and spring stripers small keepers,

14. CongoX

CongoX Greenhorn

Snook, Sheephead, and flounder are some of my favorites in the Tampa Bay area. Also, ive been to Townsville Australia. Never met and Aussie I didnt like!

Cheers Mate!

15. easkyriver

easkyriver Greenhorn

Have to agree with the Flathead choice SpaceCam, I spent a year travelling in Australia and it was one of my favourite fish, most of the one's I caught were fairly small but I caught one approaching the size of the one in your pic up North on a bait fished off a balloon for Spanish Mackerel, this huge Flathead came up and took it just a few feet below the surface!

Lots of happy memories catching Swallowtail and Whiting in the surf around your part of the world. Standing in the surf around Byron at first light with just the Pelicans for company. Great times.

Cheers

16. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Freshwater:
    Speckled Perch
    Walleye
    Bass
    Warmouth

Saltwater:

Cobia
    Mahi Mahi
    Red Drum
    Swordfish

17. SpaceCam

SpaceCam Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Awesome stuff man!
    I remember once as a kid deep sea fishing with my folks in our boat out beyond Sydney Heads.
    I was bottom fishing and felt a small tug and reeled in. As you stated in your story, this massive flathead (to this day, the biggest I have ever seen - easily bigger than the one in my pic) came to the surface, calm as can be, not fighting at all. Just as we were about to net him, with one shake of his head, he was gone. I was crushed.
    It was an awesome specimen and that's my best "one that got away" story.

Thanks for all your responses people! Great stuff.
    Since posting this thread I have eaten freshly caught Mangroves an Crevalle Jacks - both were absolutely delicious!
    Here's how I did them......

IMG_1715.JPG

18. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I am not too particular with fish and shellfish. I like them all!
    If I had to pick two then I would say Sheepshead and Mangroves.

19. tile fish for salt water crappie for freshwater

20. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn

1. Black Drum
    2. Catfish
    3. Mangrove