1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Using Green Led Shrimping Lights

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by Nautical Gator, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

you can have all you want anytime you want... if you like to eat them...

2. greg kaminski

greg kaminski Greenhorn

Sorry there was some football game on TV but I digress. So..not quite as tasty as fresh water eh?

3. Token

Token Greenhorn

I had the same idea when I first moved to Florida, the meat is not easy to get to, but it really doesn't taste that bad! Granted this was over 15y ago and now I curse and change spots every time I catch one. They can spine you and it will get infected, be careful dehooking.

4. Cbird

Cbird Rigger

They are fun to catch oh hook line & sinker, but not when you are shrimping.

5. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Very timely posts, that many members that could not attend the seminar will benefit from greatly. Thanks

6. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Years ago we use to take 2 1/2" - 3" thick sections of styrofoam about 14" square and with a serrated knife cut out the center just large enough to fit an old car headlight into, wire it up, waterproof the connections and attach a twine tag line wrapped around the electrical wires coming back to the boat (placing a wrap of tape every few inches), then we just let the lights float on top of the water, didn't have any fishing line tangling issues. We used this set at the Lake Apopka springs many times with great success. We made up two of these lights and they lasted for years. I think the newer LED's will be just the ticket. Good luck!

7. Seabass

Seabass Newbie

Thanks for the info. Need to get some new lights.

8. Are you putting your lights 8' deep?

Or are you starting lower on the outside and shallower towards the boat?

9. Randy Settle

Randy Settle Pirate in the making

I knew someone who would tie the rope off at the crown then run the rope up the shank and tie off at the ring with mono, if the anchor got stuck you could break the mono and retrieve the anchor because its being pulled at the crown after the mono breaks.

10. We put ours in pipe clamps on the outside hull when we don't plan to deploy them and it is funny how many people comment on you Gator lights among all the other lights we have on the boat. They make great additions to our gigging lights when mounted this way. I do have to say I wish they came in a brighter option. Though they may now as ours are about 4 years old. Thanks for making a quality product!

11. Ken Miller

Ken Miller Junior Member

Say Admiral how did the lights work on the specks?

12. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

I only use lights for Shrimping and Trout

13. Ken Miller

Ken Miller Junior Member

Great, thanks this is good to know.

14. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

What do you do when the catfish are so thick that they black your lights out. Is there a special trick or do you do like I did last night and just load up and go home?

15. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

Shut your lights off for s few minutes. Works better if you're close to other boats with lights

16. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

Thank you Admiral, for the advise.

keep it reel likes this.
  17. Wilbur1

Wilbur1 Greenhorn

Thanks for all the info on lights and deployment!! Great stuff

18. Ron Streiff

Ron Streiff Pirate

Have a set of these.. Love them.

19. Great advice thanks I will give a try tomorrow night

20. Lee Keslar