1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Keaton Beach Scalloping - June 30

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Dock Commander, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Carpenter
    Thread Started By

We headed up to Perry this weekend with my brother-in-law to stay with my wife’s uncle and get a day of scalloping in.

Weather wasn’t looking too promising but we headed out around 8 am anyway. The Keaton Beach ramp wasn’t crowded so launch was easy.

There were clouds building near Big Grassy Island where we were headed so we stopped short and scouted but didn’t see any scallops so we headed farther south. Clouds kept building and with no sun we weren’t seeing many scallops. We saw a couple of small funnel clouds in the distance so we headed back north as the clouds turned to rain and headed toward shore.

We stopped in 5 ft of water north of the storm around 10:30 and tide was coming in. Still no sun but started finding scallops so we hung out. We had about 2.5 gallons by 12:30 and then the sun started peaking out.m occasionally. Water was getting deeper so we headed toward Big Grassy but didn’t find many scallops so we headed back to the same area. Had our 6 gallon limit by 2:30 and sun was out in full force.

This was a great first scalloping trip for 2018 and I’m looking forward to getting out to Crystal River soon!

323EDF29-DB03-4D8B-BD02-FC2EE0F89552.jpeg

Love2Fish, Karl B, compressro and 3 others like this.
  2. Tele Caster

Tele Caster Treasure Hunter

I have fond memories of visiting grampa's place i Steinahatchee and getting scallops by the buckets when I was a kid. Congrats on a great day.

Dock Commander likes this.
  3. Alec Guito

Alec Guito Cabin Boy

that's a lot of scallops for the feezer! good trip

4. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Nice going Dock C glad to see that you finally got on them.

5. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Great score, glad you found them. Do they actually have a ramp now? Thought I remembered that you had to have your boat lifted off the trailer and lowered into the water at a sea wall.

6. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Thanks for the report an pictures!
    You did well! I haven't done this yet but would like to give it a try!

7. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Carpenter
    Thread Started By

Keaton Beach has always had a ramp (at least for the last 5 years since we've been going up there) but the Sea Hag Marina had the lift that you could use for $10. The hurricane a couple of years ago took out the Sea Hag. The lift is still there but it's not in operation.

8. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey

Cool trip glad you all got on them got to love scallops enjoy

9. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

Scalloping is a lot of fun. Funnel clouds = scary tho.

10. Karl B

Karl B Rigger

Congrats, and thanks for the report.

11. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Thanks for telling about Keaton Beach. I have been interested in it. Maybe I will head that way one day. Nice haul.