1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping Etiquette / Boat Ramp Etiquette

Discussion in 'Shrimping Clinics - Learn How to Shrimp' started by Nautical Gator, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

At our Shrimping Clinics we teach Shrimping Etiquette along with Boat Ramp Etiquette.

Shrimping Etiquette:
    Shrimping Etiquette: means when you are on the water one does not drop anchor in someone else's stream, the proper way to get in on the stream is to drop back and to the right or left of the boat that is the stream. Pulling up in front of them and dropping anchor is just not proper. When the Shrimper gets there full pull and packs it up, then simply move into their spot after they moved. Whatever you do, do not use foul language and get into a shouting match with anyone.

Boat Ramp Etiquette:
    When launching or pulling your boat out of the water, it is polite to turn off your lights or turn on the running lights so you do not blind the other vehicle pulling into the ramp area and backing up their boat and trailer. This blinds them and they cannot see while backing up.

All clubs members should lead by example on and off the water.

2. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

One thing to remember is that even if someone does something stupid, it is not necessarily on purpose. Asking someone politely is always better than yelling at them. For example, "Sir, could you please turn off your lights?" usually works better than, "TURN YOUR F#@$%NG LIGHTS OFF D%@#HEAD!!!

3. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I would like to add, don't tie your boat blocking the launch. It ties up the the ramp for others launching while you park your vehicle.

4. robthetimekeeper

Also, it is not polite to take up both sides of a double-wide ramp.

5. Cbird

Cbird Rigger

I think some people are unaware of the effect the lights cause or maybe they just forget to turn them off. If we set the right example by perhaps using out parking lights instead of the head lights, others might get the message and follow suit.

Jeepster and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  6. Also get your boat ready and loaded BEFORE you go to launch. We watch a lot of people put the boat in...then make car to boat trips for 30 minutes, tying up the ramp

7. robthetimekeeper

They really need signs posted at the ramps that explain proper ramp etiquette.

8. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Some people just don't know better. I'm so grateful for this group. This is where we learned proper etiquette. Now if I could just master managing the boat at the dock in wind and current! Lol!

9. A lot of boaters have trouble with the wind and tide, you're not alone!

Lynnae likes this.
  10. Robert

Robert Pirate

These tidbits of info are great for us begginers. Thanks!

11. Bubba Creech

Bubba Creech Treasure Hunter

Team work and helping hands makes life easier at the boat ramps.

Jeepster and Lynnae like this.
  12. Steve S

Steve S Pirate

I have to agree this is the biggest problem. Idiots do not know that the ramps are for launching boats and not to tie off to and load up big mama. This is what backs up every ramp.

lobsterman likes this.
  13. timwfm

timwfm Junior Member

I try to help out people that need unloading and loading the boat so they will move faster. :p

14. dunkcanfish

dunkcanfish Newbie

There should be a boat launching test at purchase

Or instructions they must watch

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  15. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

Great info, Sam.

16. Eddie2002

Eddie2002 Treasure Hunter

Had to work around a family that was fishing and had taken over one dock at the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse ramp. Took my time and got the boat on the trailer but boy were they in the way. Didn't want to give the kids in the family a bad impression of boaters by kicking up a fuss.
    Get the boat off the trailer and away from the docks quickly if at all possible. It's only right.

17. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

PI Ramp has a big sign that sates NO FISHING FROM DOCKS ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

18. Woodennickle

Woodennickle Pirate

Seems like some people are oblivious to what is going on around them. Don't know if they don't know any better or if they just don't care. A little common courtesy can go a long way.

19. shrimpforbrains

shrimpforbrains Sailing Master

I totally agree with what everyone is saying here, you want a real experience just hang around Swoope ramp around 9ish on the
    weekend you wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen, I've pretty much given up on fishing Swoope early on the weekend.
    Regarding the headlights at the ramp keep in mind that some of the older pickups have a system where the headlights come on
    as soon as you start the engine and the only way to turn them off is by setting the emergency brake (what engineer dreamt that one up)
    I have one of those trucks and finally figured out that I have to partially set the emergency brake and listen to the brakes dragging.

20. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I just got a 2001 gmc with the auto headlights. I have not figured them out yet.