1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

One Mans Trash Is Another Mans Treasure?

Discussion in 'Boat Build, Boat Projects... etc' started by compressro, May 13, 2019.

1. compressro

compressro Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

My friend Matt was recently gifted a boat which has been sitting for nearly 3 years in the elements. Thought I’d share a little bit of the cleanup with you guys. This is a 1998 Polar 17’ with a 2-stroke Yamaha 40. Matt was eager to see what we were actually dealing with so we got right to work just getting it cleaned up. When I say this thing was in BAD shape - what I really mean is the plugs were left in and a tree was literally growing from the bilge! There were buckets of gravel, shovels, trash amongst generations worth of rotten life jackets all piled up on the deck. The lower unit was tossed inside the boat and a rag shoved up in its place at the motor. Both tires were flat and beyond dry rotted when we arrived for pickup. With that being said - he wasn’t going to be one to turn away a free boat. He plans to get it to a mechanic soon and see what still functions and what condition the boat is actually in. Here’s some before and afters of the initial clean up:

upload_2019-5-13_12-22-25.jpeg BAFA0BCD-5F09-4131-B2C2-054C3DD73DFF.jpeg B252886F-426B-494B-8973-FF2139C781CB.jpeg 1D3BA699-9BDE-4D88-ADED-E3BEC89BBFCE.jpeg 206B3C45-5A1B-48CE-B3EE-FFAB0BE5F333.jpeg EF4FA589-FD75-4DF2-8910-91C36CFB104E.jpeg F730BAA1-DA26-49C0-AE54-18C141AEDA11.jpeg 1D409DD7-86AB-47D3-9BE3-D5BAAF1BB12C.jpeg

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Try some Mold Armor

I use this stuff in my fish boxes, storage compartments, stern Battery area, and hatches below deck, motor compartment, macerator hoses etc. all hard to get to places, and this stuff blasted away every bit of black mold within Seconds (NO SCRUBBING)

Mold Armor
    32 oz. Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover

39449.jpg

Available on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CSF44G/?tag=shrimpflforum-20

3. compressro

compressro Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Thank you! I’ll let him know.

4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Looking good, let us know about the motor.

compressro likes this.
  5. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Can't beat the price. The key to a project like that is dont put a lot of money into it until you know what you got. Looks like a nice skinny water boat.

compressro likes this.
  6. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

With what a boat costs these days the price was sure right on this one. Used is definitely the way to go if you don’t mind the elbow grease required. Probably a “no wood” all composite hull so will remain a solid platform.

compressro likes this.
  7. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

The price is right for sure, it'll make a nice lil project.

compressro likes this.
  8. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

She's looking pretty good! Keep us updated.

compressro likes this.
  9. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I have a rule about using a pressure washer on boats. Don't! it opens up the pours in the gel coating etc.. Just use spray posted above...

compressro likes this.
  10. compressro

compressro Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

04CE2614-0326-4449-BC31-DD2A51651A64.jpeg Update:

Motor is running! It sounds great. Lower unit had to be replaced, carbs cleaned, tank drained, new steering cables, spark plugs, fuel lines, and livewell pump. He also got it onto a nice used aluminum trailer after the galvanized trailer it came with disintegrated on the way over to the mechanic. Trailer is going to need a few modifications to the bunks and rollers as well as the winch height but overall a decent fit for the first try.

11. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Looking like it will be well worth the effort. Sure can’t beat the price...

12. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

The spray looks promising, will have to try some out. Great job on the clean up, looks like a great boat for exploring the backcountry in.

13. Rich M

Rich M Swashbuckler

That's a nice project and a great hull. You guys are gonna get some great use out of it.

14. Jeepster

Jeepster Carpenter

Great looking boat. Hope to see ya on the water real soon. Tight Lines.

15. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy

Looking good, never underestimate the power of your arm, pressure washing puts water were it should not be

16. Rex Russo

Rex Russo Pirate

Nice! Looks to be well worth the sweat equity. Wish I could find one like that.

17. Fcsoccer11

Fcsoccer11 Pirate

Looks great I'm rebuilding my '83 roballo 2120, so you'll be on the water way ahead of me.

18. Tai nguyen

Tai nguyen Greenhorn

Nice job. Well worth it!