1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Newbie Headed To Melbourne Beach

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Branson, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Hi all,

I have two young boys and we fish small creeks and ponds at our home in central Maryland. They're 5 and 7, and turning into little fishing machines. We're headed to Melbourne Beach to visit family this week and I'd love to get the kids on a few new species of fish and some blue crabs. I have limited experience surf fishing in Maryland but I have handlined/dipnetted blue crabs quite a bit. With any luck, we'll have some fishing and crabbing reports to contribute soon.

-- B

2. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

Welcome to this forum. We have surf fished that area. Next week you will have early am tides which make it much cooler. Try getting some fresh shrimp in a bag for bait with pyramid weights you can cast with your rods from a bait shop. You don't have to cast far just close in. See what happens. Get a fishing license online for Florida.

Jeepster likes this.
  3. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Thanks for the information. We'll be sure to get shrimp for bait. I was going to have the boys catch sand fleas, too. Does Florida accept electronic copies of their fishing licenses? We're having printer malfunctions at the house and leaving in the AM. Otherwise, I'll just buy it in person at a tackle shop. I'll need to pick up a few things anyways.

I have a 6.5' medium spinning rod with a 4000 series reel that works for stripers up here. I was planning to take that, with the idea that I'll be casting close to shore and likely getting kingfish, etc. I suppose I could be persuaded to buy a cheapish surf setup while we're down there, though.

4. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

Sand fleas work but it's hard unless you have a sand flea rake. I use 3oz satellite sinkers close to hold. Get pyramid sinkers if they don't have satellite sinkers. Satellite sinkers have wires. Before we got cards we had pdf licenses on our cell phones. I doubt you'll get kingfish close in but may catch whiting.

Jeepster likes this.
  5. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Thanks. I'll pick up some satellite sinkers and bring a few 3oz pyramids from home. Yes, I totally forgot about the other kingfish. I meant whiting (call them kingfish up here). I'm getting excited. Hopefully we'll be able to hook into something. Anything will be fun for the kiddos.

Fcsoccer11 likes this.
  6. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Stopped by Whitey's and got pompano rigs, sinkers, fishbites, and a few plugs, stuffy plastics, etc. Spent $90 and the wife is fully expecting us to get skunked. We better catch a few fish. Lol. Should try it tomorrow.

Jeepster and Stephen Havel like this.
  7. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you on board.
    Hope you have good luck tomorrow
    See below for site tips and rules.
    *´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ (¸.•` WELCOME ABOARD MATEY>«(((º> >«(((º> >«(((º> >«(((º>

Welcome aboard, get ready for a great experience in our Club’s Forum. We’re not just an online Forum, we’re a club with great knowledge and are only too pleased to share it with you.

Glad you joined our Club and Forum. Hope you make it your home. We look forward to all your posts, comments, reports, feedback and more…

We are an exclusive group of anglers, we are the few, the proud, the elite. called the “A-Team” - a network of anglers™… Membership is a privilege, although we give everyone the same opportunity to join. Then it is up to you to become an active participating group member…

Note: Membership is a Privilege not a right, We granted you Permission To Come Aboard! Just make sure you participate in our forum’s discussions, so we don't have you walking the plank! ;)

Feel free to ask any of us questions you may have. Hopefully we all can answer them by sharing our knowledge and experiences plus learn from each other...

At ShrimpNFishFlorida™ We're all part of the same TEAM, we’re all anglers that either Shrimp or Fish. We enjoy coming back and telling everyone about our Fishing or Shrimping adventure, by posting pics of our catches, along with the story of our angling adventure. By being part of our “Anglers-Team” “network of anglers™, you'll gain knowledge of what is running, all year round…

Our forum is like having A FREE Online Fishing AND Shrimping Magazine delivered to your door with live daily Fishing and Shrimping Reports!

(Now that you made your first post to introduce yourself we will give you full access)

Hope you make some new friends and fishing buddies…

Here you will find some great knowledge, and receive knowledge when asked!
    There is a lot to discover here, so it will take you a little exploring to find everything…

Like a pirate it may take you days to discover it all.. But worth it as there is a wealth of valuable information aboard our Clubs Ship...

Your first step to becoming an active participating Club Member should be to "go directly to the Fishing or Shrimping Reports sections" and make some posts "congratulating" those who have posted Fishing or Shrimping Reports. Then when you start catching and posting your reports, your fellow club members will also be congratulating you.

PLEASE NOTE: That Membership is a privilege, we give all new members 30 Days to show us that you are serious and going to be a good "Participating Member", if we do not see you posting, your membership will be deactivated, and you will not be able to continue to read reports.

There are a few things you should do right away:
    1. Edit your profile to include an avatar or photo.
    2. Membership is a Privileged not a right, Please Read minimum post requirements
    3. Don't forget to read the forum rules
    4. Learn how you can Become An Active Club Member
    5. Learn about our forum features along with Instructions of some cool stuff that you should check out.
    6. Show off your boat here:
    7. Please sign our Clubs Guest Book.
    Other stuff you should check out:
    Last but not least, learn About Shrimpnfishflorida™ And Our Anglers Forum

Thanks for becoming part of our ShrimpNFishFlorida™ Network of Anglers™ >«(((º> >«(((º> >«(((º>

We wish you all the best.
    Tight lines and Full pulls to you.

Chat with ya soon.

Posted by:

Mark "aka" MAK

Moderator on Deck

It's a tough job, but someones got to do it!

Branson likes this.
  8. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

FYI. There is a beach just south of Whiteys. The entrance is very narrow but it opens up inside. No sign from the road. It is a local knowledge type of place.. Good luck!

Branson likes this.
  9. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Thanks. My father-in-law has access just across the road from his place. Today, while not fishing, something was hitting bait pretty hard right in front of where we set up to play in the surf. If his spot doesn't pan out, I may check out the place south of Whitey's. Something tells me I'll be hitting up Whitey's again.

Stephen Havel likes this.
  10. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

There is a webcam https://www.spacecoastsbestbeaches.com/florida-beach-cams/spanish-house-beach-cam.aspx of that place called Spanish House.

Branson likes this.
  11. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

Let us know how you do. I hope you get some for dinner and surprise the wife

Branson likes this.
  12. Branson

Branson Newbie
    Member Introduction

Fished Melbourne Beach for a couple of hours after high tide. Got a single gulf kingfish as we were packing it up, on a pompano rig with a sand flea and pink fishbites. The munchkin had it for his lunch. Cast a popper a few times when something was busting on bait fish but nothing bit.

image000000_20210622_155754.jpg

Stephen Havel, Jeepster and mak like this.
  13. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Branson likes this.
  14. Jeepster

Jeepster Swabbie

Thanks for the report. I am from Maryland and I love fishing Haulover canal in Titusville, and Sebastian Inlet. Great place to take the kids to catch dinner.

15. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

Thanks for the report. You atleast caught a fish and didn't spend money on bait. The little guy looks happy!