1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

New Smyrna North Causeway Docks Crabbing 7-9-2020

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Jul 10, 2020.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

I stopped at the north causeway fish docks 7-9-2020 and saw a fella crabbing! First crabber I have seen in a while! He was using four ring traps with chicken. I asked him how he was doing. He said he has only caught one crab. I don't know how long he had been there. Still not good for crabbers when usually this is the best time of year for crabbing!
    The main dock here is still closed for repair and has been for some time now!
    The crabber was on the smaller south dock.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Most times of the year since moving here we have been able to catch and eat crab from our dock once or twice a week. Haven’t been able to catch any all month aside from one or two tiny ones. Noticed the commercial guys have pulled most of their traps from the ICW near me. I don’t remember not catching any last summer... I wonder where they go/have gone?

3. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

Just a thought: With all the sea grasses gone, and this is where the young crabs hide from predators, could they maybe being consumed by predators? Everything eats young crabs and shrimp!

;n

4. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

Pretty much.

The lagoon has been hit hard and the fish, shrimp, crab, and even mullet numbers reflect it.

Will it come back? Hopefully.

I've been able to grab some crabs on the flats if, when wanted but no real size or numbers.