1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Jack Crevalle

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by mak, Aug 22, 2019.

1. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Well, after the posts and talk about eating Ladyfish and Sandfleas I decided it was time to try another “trash” fish that I always throw back or use as crab bait. Heck, 40 years ago I used to eat Bluefish all the time before I found out they were “trash”... Yesterday I caught a couple Jack Crevalle and tossed them in the ice expecting I would use them in the crab traps. By the time I got home I decided to go ahead and fillet them to see how they taste. If I remember right, fellow member Johannes had told me they had tried and really liked a Jack he caught.
    Long story short, the wife and I must not have a sophisticated palate because we both thought it tasted very good. Certainly not a mild, flakey fish but won’t be my crab bait any more... I didn’t even bother to bleed them or try the other prep method seen in another thread.
    We just cut in strips and fried. Some we dusted with Cajun seasoning and spices without any breading and some were breaded and fried. Both tasted good and didn’t have any overpowering strong taste.

mkyota1 and Greenedog like this.
  2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I've heard people say that they were boney.

3. mak

Thread Started By

Not at all. Filleted just like any other fish and removed the rib meat and sliced out a thin slice of the darker meat along the lateral line. No bones in fillets.
    I actually was surprised how easily and smoothly the knife sliced through along the backbone. Maybe tiny or soft scales.

Bossman likes this.
  4. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

Yep we eat Jacks. When you catch them yourself and eat within 2 days. Not a bad fish. I will even admit we ate a few hardtop cats when we first started fishing florida and they taste better than fresh water catfish, imo.

5. mak

Thread Started By

Hmmm... now you have me wondering if that’s the next kind I try.

6. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

LOL. The smaller the better on those. I was told sail top cats are better eating. We tried both and pretty similar.
    I know people will think I am crazy but lady fish are really good. Filet, use spoon to scoop out meat like a paste. Onions, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, and pan fry in a little patty for breakfast. Very tasty white meat.

7. mak

Thread Started By

I tried the sailcats once I heard they were supposed to be good. Definitely good IMO and I will save and eat those now.
    As for Ladyfish, not sure I will try those even though I catch a lot. I don’t even like to bring those snot buckets in the boat...greenSmiley Laughing2::2

8. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

You will never know until you try.

9. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I bleed my Jacks. Fillet at home and marinate in Teriyaki sauce before grilling, Cajun works also. Not a light meat fish, but good eating.

10. mak

Thread Started By

Hadn’t thought about Blackening before but it’s such a firm meat I’ll bet that would be good too. My wife may like the Teriyaki idea.

11. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I cut the blood lines out which helps if you don’t like the string taste. I’ve also smoked jack and it turns out great. Makes a great dip also.

12. mak

Thread Started By

Hmmm... may have to fire up the smoker. H9w long and at what temp?

13. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Around 210 to 220 for about two to three hours. I smoke them with the skin on.

bogman102 likes this.
  14. mak

Thread Started By

Thanks! Will give it a try.

15. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

I like Sailcats but my buddy said I wouldn't like Hardheads. I was out fishing and caught a couple Hardhead cats and a small Jack. Filet them all up, fry and sprinkle with lemon. All were good!

16. mak

Thread Started By

My wife and I started eating Jacks a couple years ago after a friend from Germany said they were his favorite.
    I like them ok fried if prepared fresh. Have not tried any saltwater catfish aside from Sailcats which we like. I used to toss Sailcats back too until someone here said they were good to eat.