1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Grilling Fish

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by Nautical Gator, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Originally posted by hodgie2411 on our old forum

I have attempted in the past to grill fish and only ended up with a big mess on the grill and little left on the plate. I have also tried those fish grilling racks with not so much luck either.
    I have been to plenty of resturants and some how they grill fish perfectly?
    So I did a litle research and with my wife the taste tester we are starting to get some results.
    I like to cook fish whole on the grill only scaling and gutting them first. Trout, Sheepshead, Pompano and Cobia are some of the best to cook.
    I take the fish and put two or three deep cut that are diagonal to the fish from head to tail. I then drizzle olive oil over it or mix seasame oil, ginger, and soy sauce together and use that. Salt and Pepper. If the cavity of the fish allows I then will stuff the fish with citrus chunks and fresh herbs.
    Now after the grill is heated up I take lemon or lime slices and lay them on the grill and lay the fish on top of the slices. The lemons/limes create a nice barrier between the hot grill and the flesh of the fish, it will add some flavor to the fish as the citrus starts to steam off. I will only turn the fish once. Once the citrus starts to blacken on the grill you get the great grill flavors without a mess of fish scattered.
    Not to shabby for a novice!!

2. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

I grill pompano occasionally. Leave the skin on but filet. Season and oil the fleshy side of the filet. Spray the grill with non-stick. Start the filets off flesh side DOWN. They cook very quickly. Then flip the filets and finish cooking. The skin will hold everything together. For a little added taste brush the filets once very lightly with some BBQ sauce. Yum-yum!

3. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Sounds good to me...

need to give it a try...

Sam

4. Notorious Too

Notorious Too Cabin Boy

I used to have the same problem. Now I use a grill with big porcelain grates. Once the grill is hot, I coat the grate with cooking oil, then put the fish on. Only flip the fish once.....

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

6. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

have used those grilling baskets for fish with mixed success.
    First coat the basket with Pam or some kind of cooking oil so it won't stick.
    Then trap the fish inside and close it up. Place on grill and flip once to complete cooking evenly.
    Remove basket from heat and remove fish from basket and transfer to plate.
    I usually leave the skin on the fish when grilling and I remove the skin when I transfer to the plate from the basket.

The other method I use is to just put a small piece of aluminum foil on the grill; same size as fish.
    This I don't flip and pretty much just let it bake in place. If you are worried about the fish drying out just put another small piece of foil on top of the fish. The fish will get a some what smokey flavor from the grill.

As long as the fish is cooked and I have some lemon I am a happy camper!

7. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Works great everything for me, I do spray the surface first...

Sam