1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Crystal River Scallop 7/13

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by JBF, Jul 13, 2020.

1. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Thread Started By

First time in this area. We launched from Pete’s pier around 830. There was plenty of parking, 15 dollars for the day. The channel was clearly marked and it was a nice ride out. We found the fleet in short order. We searched for a couple hours with no luck so we ate lunch. Talked about heading out to the artificial reefs to fish when the screen announced a weather warning. We panned out the screen and watched the storm coming closer, turned the weather on vhf then left. Lots of boats in the channel on the way back in, talked to a few in the manatee zones. Slim pickings for everyone we spoke with the big number was 2 not gallons but 2. We were rained on but beat the storm and back home before dinner. Not productive as far as fish go but are now familiar with a new area.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Two? two? Holy crap, that is a bad day. sorry you didn’t get any but I’ll bet the family still had fun.

JBF likes this.
  3. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Thread Started By

Sure did. Found a bunch of large sponges, two different types I think one type was oval/ roundish. The other like coral. Did not take any though, not sure of the refs or how to process hem.

4. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Thanks for the report but sorry to hear you didn't get any! Bummer!

JBF likes this.
  5. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Thread Started By

We had a good time and were able to scout. With all of the sharks this side we have not been jumping off the boat. As far as the scallops, I’d rather get none than not get enough for a meal.

6. Samrh

Samrh Greenhorn

Hum,,,, Crystal River and Homasassa are usually sure winners. Sorry you didnt hit them. Dont give up !!

7. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Not sure just where you looked but but you normally have to go out and turn south for about 6 miles to get into the grass flats for good scalloping grounds.

JBF and mak like this.
  8. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

It was a poor year for scallops. The FWC surveys were bad also. The water is always kayak and the beer cold when it comes to scalloping.

JBF likes this.
  9. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Thread Started By

The grouper we’re out there this year though

10. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I plan on heading out there this Sunday. Hopefully it won’t be rough.

11. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Hope you have good luck.

12. streakin striper

streakin striper Pirate in the making

I agree getting none at all is better than a couple. Good to be out on the water with your family though