1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks
  1. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Deckhand
    Fishing Report By

Went to try the river on Friday night for some frogs. It's been way too long since I got on a good mess of frogs, all my old spots in orange grove ponds growing up are now subdivisions. Water is super low on the St. John's right now, airboat would be ideal but the jon boat and mud motor did well, had to walk it across a few sandbars but hey we got a good workout.

My buddy learned the ropes quick and we picked away at some decent sized frogs til 1am. We ended up with 40 frogs and a few tilapia. Gonna try to get out again next weekend, but man we need some rain bad!!!

20190601_123155.jpg

20190601_190256.jpg

Snapchat-639246289.jpg

Greenedog likes this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Ah man, you just had to put in the pics that would make me hungry!
    Good mess of frogs.
    So when you gig frogs, where exactly do you usually get them? Are they on the edge of the bank, on the bottom in shallow water or??

gatortrout19 likes this.
  3. Looks amazing. Great job on the frogs

gatortrout19 likes this.
  4. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey

Sweet frog gigging us a good time . Congratulations

gatortrout19 likes this.
  5. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

That was a nice mess of frogs, I haven't been frogging in some time but sure do remember the great times that my dad and I had out gigging. I could go on and on about those days, but that will have too be for another thread. Congrats on the haul!

gatortrout19 likes this.
  6. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Deckhand
    Fishing Report By

They just sit on the bank, at the water's edge. Most of them let you get right on them with the light and don't move...the cajuns in LA say they grab them with their hands but I'm not that hardcore!

7. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Deckhand
    Fishing Report By

I'm going to wait until the river comes up about half a foot or so, we had to drag the boat a few times which was a heck of a workout at midnight! But if you want to join, I'll be itching to get back out for sure

8. Rocky1789

Rocky1789 Master Gunner

Dang I love me some fried frog legs

gatortrout19 likes this.
  9. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I remember as a kid 40+ years ago going out to eat with my grandfather and family. (He was the only one in the family that fished BTW and is responsible for my love of the outdoors, hunting and fishing.) Anyway, his thing was to always ask the waitress “Do you have frog legs?”. When she would answer Yes, he would look down at her legs and say “Let’s see em!”. Embarrassed my grandmother, mom, and everyone at the table but us kids thought it was hilarious.

gatortrout19 likes this.
  10. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Thanks for the report! Like everyone else here I haven't done that in 50 years!

11. JeffM

JeffM Greenhorn

I'm interested in starting to gig frogs in south Florida.
    JeffM