1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Avoiding Weeds While Trolling????

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by Rich M, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master
    Fishing Chatter

Last week the scattered weed killed my ability to troll diving lures and of course didn't have any bait or such. Heck, didn't even have lunch w me.

Like to drag deep divers and the weeds will go down the line till they hit the snap swivel about the leader to the lure. Ends up with a blob 3 feet in front of the lure. Doesn't affect the lure motion much either - still get the tip shake but have fish deterrent weeds on there.

Was trying to rationalize what should have happened to make lemonade outta lemons.

Seems like a planer with some strips or a zip lock baggie of cigar minnows or a few ballyhoo could have changed the day around.

Anyone got any suggestions?

2. bluegeco

bluegeco Pirate in the making

It sucks to troll through weeds, and the only solution I have is to real up and clean every so often.

Rich M likes this.
  3. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Weeds are unfortunately one of those love hate relationships…. Love to find them hate to deal with them. Smaller profile single hook rigs will still catch weeds.. all lines will but can tend to be cleared easier then bigger profile baits.

Rich M likes this.
  4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Yeah just tend the lines early and often. If your dragging top waters, just reel quick and once they skip there is a good chance the weeds will fly off. For deep divers, you will need to reel those in most likely.

Rich M likes this.
  5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I use a rubber band no weeds.

Jeepster likes this.
  6. When trolling live or dead baits (E.g. ballyhoo), try rigging the hoo thru the mouth, out the end, then twisting the hook around and insert the hook into the body of the hoo. Basically, it will be weedless.