1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Matanzas Inlet

Discussion in 'Kayaking - Ramps, Locations, Fishing Trip Plans' started by NauTiKel, Sep 27, 2019.

1. NauTiKel

NauTiKel Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

On the chart it says closed, but I was wondering if a boat with 2ft draft can get in and out over there? I would like to take a cruise up the river, go out the inlet, then come back down the beach into Ponce.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I would not go out of the inlet, I fished on the river side, it is a sand bar and its hard to navigate very shallow....

3. NauTiKel

NauTiKel Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Interesting. Maybe it would be a nice place to hang. Can a good sized boat with twins navigate up there on the river side?

4. Nautical Gator

yes, I would suggest having a good fish finder with navionics. anywhere you boat in Florida you better know the area or proceed with caution... the oyster beds are the things that damage boats...

5. Nautical Gator

Here is a good photo of Matanzas Inlet taken recently in 2019

upload_2019-10-1_5-11-59.png

Google Satellite Image
    upload_2019-10-1_5-19-58.png

upload_2019-10-1_5-17-57.png

NauTiKel likes this.
  6. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I’ve heard people who know the area and know what they are doing go through there, but that 2019 pic makes it look even worse than the sat photos.

7. Nautical Gator

depends on if you feel lucky or not, well do ya LOL

if you make it out on high tide, then things get rough, then come back on low tide you may end up grounded, with waves pounding you. My offshore's draft would never make it.

8. Volleybum

Volleybum Master Gunner

The trick with Matanzas is that it is always changing with each tide. Before you even make it to the sandbar you have to make it under the bridge. The first time I was going under my friend who was captaining the boat that day handed me a pair of scissors and said go up to the bow and in anyone's line is in the way, cut it off before we wind up with a hook in us! I thought he was joking as I was new to the area, but never heard of that issue before. It was fine going out as there wasn't a lot of fisherman there yet. But on the way in, I found out the hard way that people on the bridge there don't care about the boat traffic and made getting back more difficult that it should be. Three cut lines later and a few quick reflexes to catch sinkers being chucked at us and it was an eye opening experience. It wasn't like we were hauling either time, we crawled through because of the worries and sounded the horn a few times to let everyone know we were coming through as a courtesy to the fisherman on the bridge. Lesson learned, the horn just gives the fisherman enough advance notice to gather up their old weights to chuck at us as we go through. Now I have been under more time than not without any issue, but there have been a few where it is scarier going under the bridge then going out.
    Also with that being said, I have been on the boat, made it under the bridge, took a look and said screw it and headed back in to head to St Aug to get out to sea to fish. Which isn't bad as its early in the day. But after a long day of fishing and sneaking out Matanzas in the morning, and missing the tide because the fishing is good, that extra 30+ miles around to get back in SUCKS!!!
    Bottom line, don't plan to go in or out of Matanzas Inlet, even if you have lived here your whole life, no reason to risk turning your boat upside down. As you will learn very quickly, your insurance coverage may not cover you if you do as that is non-navigable water and clearly marked as so.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  9. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Wow! That’s more good info than I’ve heard before. Never would have guessed that you would have to dodge fishing lines like that, or that the fishermen would be such a-holes about it and not pull their line out of the way. Surprising.
    What size boat did you go through in?

10. Volleybum

Volleybum Master Gunner

I have been through in a couple of different boats. Largest was a 24' center console. I have been through where at high tide we had 6' of water under the boat and I have been through at half tides with 1' on the depth finder but less than that as the prop was kicking up A LOT of sand even with it angled up.
    Best choice is trailer your boat to a ramp in St Johns or Volusia county and launch from there if you want to head off shore. Don't risk running Matanzas, it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  11. Nautical Gator

plus if you hit it wrong, you will be stranded... or stuck with the waves pounding you.