1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Yanmar 6lpa Stp Gauge Questions

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by saltydoc, Feb 17, 2021.

1. saltydoc

saltydoc Newbie
    Thread Started By

My new to me Yanmar 6LPA-STP motor with 180hrs came with an older an minimal "Type B" console panel- which includes a tachometer and 4 0r 5 alarms(water temp, water in fuel filter, oi pressure, and boost/ EGF- I think).
    Anyway I ordered some new gauges for:

-Water temp
    - Oil pressure
    - Voltmeter
    -EGF/Boost

The motor came with a variety of switches, senders, and sensors installed- and attached to the motor electrical harness- BUT not all to the dashboard panel.

So how do I hook up these gauges and to what?

A regional Yanmar parts guy says he can get me a Type C/D harness that has temp and oil on it for easy hook up....for$600 yikes. Can't I just trace the wires and do it for cheaper myself?

what about this Boost sender- can I use it on new gauge?

I love this motor but hooking up gauges seems a lot harder than it should be.

switches.jpg

switches2.jpg

switches.jpg

switches2.jpg

2. saltydoc

saltydoc Newbie
    Thread Started By

Pictured above:

1.Boost switch port?
    2.Boost sender
    3.Oil pressure switch
    4. Oil sender

3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Wow! That will be nice once you get her all hooked-up. Sure wish I could be of help. Maybe someone else here will be able to. It is surprising that gauge hookup would be such a PITA. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

You can keep what it came with or purchase a new C panel.

I would check with surplus unlimited to see if they have a used one. if not I would buy a new one.

so you can look someone that knows how to install separate gauges. I would only use an OEM panel so you can see what is going on with your motor. plus it has safety features built into it.

since you motor it is new to you, I would take out and inspect all your zincs. replace if needed.

I would also flush it out with barnacle buster or RYDLYME Marine Biodegradable Descaler

I would clean up your motor then spray with corrosion blocker.

Good luck.

mak likes this.
  5. saltydoc

saltydoc Newbie
    Thread Started By

Thank you for your help. Of course every boat purchase is a compromise. The boat is a beauty and the engine has low hours- and the surveyor appropriately recommended to install gauges.
    I just didn’t know it would be such a pia.

Short of a major dash revision I don’t believe there is room for a C panel. I was planning to build a panel up from original with gauges.

B411CE55-4C1E-4935-9234-77AAA7331CC3.jpeg

6EF461DD-FED1-4D33-AE8F-4EF4400C0048.jpeg

D7A5EA35-3215-4693-82B2-7D773E852A66.jpeg

6. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Nope no room. where do you live? check out the surplus boating supply houses for gauges. we have one locally which seems to have everything. Its called surplus unlimited on SR 92 in Daytona.

7. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Great looking boatThumbsup1:::1

8. saltydoc

saltydoc Newbie
    Thread Started By

Thank you! Solid hand made Maine built!

Yes- plan to flush engine this spring then install new zincs added to my list.

I’ll check out the supply places thanks.

What about new temp/oil/boost senders in place of old ones with appropriate BSM to NPT adaptors?