1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Will A Flats Boat Work Well For Shrimping?1/17/2018

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by John Reid, Jan 17, 2018.

1. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey
    Thread Started By

Can someone comment on whether a flats boat will work ok for shrimping in an area like Oak Hill. I have heard the current gets flowing fairly strong and was wondering if I would run into issues anchoring my Ankona Cayenne sideways to set up my lights in the current since the boat being it is fairly low to the water.
    May I need to anchor bow into the current instead?

2. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

You should be fine. I have seen Jon Boats out there with no problems. I don’t have an Ankona, but maybe someone here does. Hopefully they will let you know.

3. FLJNR

FLJNR Pirate

I have shrimped on a few and the large deck space is great to move around on!

4. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Should be fine. My only thought is the knuckle heads comeing through the flotilla rather fast pushing a big wake. I have seen others in flats boats out there. There was a guy in a kayak a few years ago.

Karl B likes this.
  5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Your boat should do fine, anything that floats will work up there... If jon boats can do it your boat can as well...

6. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

I own a Hewes redfisher and it's great for shrimping because the deck is right out over the water without a gunnel in your way

7. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

I use a deck boat, works just fine and it is pretty darned low in the water (draws about 14" draft). Can be tough setting up sideways at any time except slack tide, though.

8. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Master Gunner

Like others said, it will be fine. Get out there after em!

9. Cbird

Cbird Rigger

I have a 16ft. Tracker it works fine. Your rig most likely sit a little lower it should work, just watch out for large wakes from other boats !!!!!

10. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

I would anchor from the bow to be safe JR.

11. magdrill

magdrill Pirate in the making

I usually trailer my 14’ Jon boat down there from nj. I anchor sideways and never had a problem.
    It’s easier on gas than towing my 21’ Carolina skiff 17 hours.

12. Reelman202

Reelman202 Pirate in the making

thanks everyone! I will be a greenhorn one day too! chasing the dreamAwesome2::2

13. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

Boat will be fine. Good luck