1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

What's A Good Starter Kayak??

Discussion in 'DIY - Rigging Your Kayak' started by creativ44, Nov 1, 2018.

1. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Sorry if this has been talked about it before. My brother and I are kicking around the idea of getting kayaks. What would be a good starter model? Something that would be sturdy enough for my 6 foot, 250lb brother and that I may be able to stand in to cast. thanks in advance.

2. famous82

famous82 Pirate

if you aren't looking to spend a ton of money then I would check out the pelican kayaks from Academy Sports. They are decent boats for the price, they just can't take a beating like other more expensive kayaks.

3. Dave rivera

Dave rivera Deckhand

Frontier 12 holds up to 600 lb. and is wide enough for to stand up. New runs about $1500.00. But is easy to do mods.
    Might find a used one for less. Good Luck,Kayaks by Bo will let you try one on the water.

4. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

5. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Thanks y'all! I will start with these suggestions. I appreciate your help.

6. Michael Walker

Michael Walker Master Gunner

There are several Facebook groups that focus on selling used fishing gear, and kayaks, you might check there, since its a starter yak you're looking for, would help keep your costs down till you learn what you're really looking for in a yak

7. reellivin25

reellivin25 Blackbeard

The ascend brand from bass pro is pretty good. I have the 1ot version and it is stable.

Greenedog likes this.
  8. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Great idea. thank you!

9. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

One that floats :)

Sorry

10. garbageman_ct

garbageman_ct Blackbeard

We bought a couple of the cheap 10 foot ones from Walmart. They are not stable and track terribly. $250 each for lawn ornaments. Oh well the kids don’t care and like them.

11. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Ha Ha! Thanks, needed that laugh today!

12. kayakmike

kayakmike Cabin Boy

one of the best deals are on Garage sale, sometimes flea markets and just word of mouth, somebody may have a kayak in the garage or yard, they no longer use, may get for a good price, let people know your looking for one, also look in this forum for a use Kayak.....

13. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Thanks! I will definitely look in those places you have mentioned. I look at the yard sales around me, but have not had any luck yet.