1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

What Is The Water Temp?

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by Michael Dombek, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael Dombek

Michael Dombek Pirate
    Thread Started By

Anyone know the current water temp is around riverbreeze? It is getting cold down around sebastain. Shrimp should get moving soon I think.

2. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

There are a few websites that you can find the water temperatures in that area.

3. lanny

lanny Junior Member

Its getting colder. Should be in the low 60's by now' I know when we went out 2 weeks ago, it was cold enough not to jump in.

4. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

I like to call the local bait&tackle shops several days before heading down there
    to get an up to date report.

5. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

What temp do the shrimp prefer?

6. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

(see link)
    http://www.gatortough.com/shrimp_behavior.htm

Carefully crafted University research on small shrimp and water temperature shows the smaller shrimp will migrate up or down depended on water temperature. Optimum favored temp is about 70 deg F. Salinity held constant. At near 30 parts per thousand. This is average Ocean salinity.

The rapid change in weather induced temperature causes shrimp to rise off the bottom to the top in deeper waters of the IRL and ML water system.

The higher and cooler winds and water evaporation leaves the dissolved salts behind. This raises the lagoon salinity in the system, particularly in the shallow areas. The Saltier conditions and rapid temperature swings couple with the age of the shrimp triggers the migration.

Baccarac likes this.
  7. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

Wow , thanks. That was very informative!

8. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

wow sounds good to me

9. JonathanFlorida

JonathanFlorida Blackbeard

Great info and thanks for sharing

10. twin1954

twin1954 Treasure Hunter

Goo to know. Thanks.