1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Visiting Melbourne For A Few Days

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by spc06, Mar 15, 2018.

1. spc06

spc06 Newbie
    Fishing Chatter

hello all

I won a radio contest and got a free airline ticket to Melbourne FL. I live in Maine and really am excited to try to get some fishing in for a few says.

A few questions

I would like to fish off of the Melbourne pier is that better than bringin my waters and fishing the surf?

Is there a place to buy bait near the pier? I’d like to go down as cheaply as possible and I’m trying to find the cheapest hotel and possibly not rent a car.

This winger has been punitive to the Northeast. I have no idea if I can expect to catch so much as a cold down there this time of year, but of fish are running in March or April what can I expect?

Maine surf fishing is wonderful but pretty much only catch 3 or 4 species of fish.

Thanks for your time.

-scott

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Lucky You, Congrats

Fishing School, Learning, Tips, Tricks, Rigs, etc.
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/forums/fishing-school-learning-tips-tricks-rigs-etc.70/

Reading the surf
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/reading-the-surf-for-fishing.7679/

See reading the surf threads
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/forums/club-learning-instructional-videos.54/

I would use a pompano Rig

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/how-to-make-a-pompano-whiting-rig.3752/

Surf fishing tips
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/surf-fishing-tips.118/#post-160

3. spc06

spc06 Newbie
    Fishing Chatter

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I will definitely try the pompano rig. Any one know of a cheap hotel in the area?

4. Nautical Gator

Now Surf fishing is different than River Fishing...

The River has Red Drum, Trout, Snook, Sheepshead, Mangrove Snapper, Black Drum etc...

The Surf has Pompano, Whiting, Black Drum, Red Drum, Sharks etc...

they are fished differently and require different rigs.

Do not over cast in the sleuth in the surf, this is where the pomp's and whiting are
    also for black drum and red drum, fish the outer rips.

5. spc06

spc06 Newbie
    Fishing Chatter

Wow, thanks again. I'd be in the surf, hopefully using the Melbourne Pier, unless just the surf is more productive, I'll find out when I get there I suppose. Nice to know they stay close to shore, really useful info.

6. Nautical Gator

if you go on the pier, do not go all the way to the end, stay where the swells start to crest.

7. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

The melbourne pier is on the inside - the river side. If you use dead shrimp you can catch some stuff - catfish will be primary, maybe a silver perch, whiting, reds, or sheephead. Sheephead are like a black & white striped bluegill about 12-15 inches long most of the time. They'll usually be near the pier supports.

Something else I haven't seen on here is mention of the Cajun Thunder type clatter corks. These are foam corks with a sliding wire and glass & brass beads on the wire. Rig a 1/16-1/4 oz jig head about 18-24 inches under the cork on a piece of 25# mono and put chartreuse jig tail on it - cast out and retrieve with a 1-2-3-4 count.

Cast, let the jig sink and cork get upright, jerk it 6 to 12 inches or more - make it splash, reel, drop rod tip and count to 4 normal like - allows the jig to move and swing. Jerk - 1234 - jerk - 1234 - jerk - 1234 until you have it next to you, throw it out and do it again. Ladyfish, jacks, trout, blues, reds, etc. will readily eat this thing - often they eat the cork and not the jig. When the cork goes under set the hook. You will catch a lot of small trout this way if they are there.

We use the corks a lot and often tear 'em up. It is a way to catch a lot of fish - mostly small trout - for kids, visitors, etc. You are a visitor. These are great for locating fish - just keep wandering around and throwing it. If there are trout, they will eat it.

The jacks and ladyfish will be in water with more current - like around bridges, same cast & retrieve instructions.

Don't be afraid to use a jerkbait or swimbait up to shore - the fish down here will swim around with their backs out of the water at times.

8. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

If it were me, I would rent a small car and drive to Sebastian Inlet.

9. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

Stay out by I95 in Motel 6 or super 8 there are a few other cheaper hotels out there. You can rent a car for $25 from enterprise a day and drive where you need to go fishing.

10. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

I know the area very well and My parents live nearby on the barrier island side. I can get back to you with a few names if you like.

11. aceofradio1

aceofradio1 Newbie

I recommend you go to Sebastian Inlet and fish north west side off the rocks next to the wading or tidal pool. Plugs would be good because you wont get hung up on the rocks. Also fish the north jetty. You can talk to some of the guys fishing and see how they are rigged.
    You can also fish the surf just south of Sebastian Inlet. Always three or four cars there.
    Fish the leeward side of Sebastian Inlet where possible.
    Stop at Whiteys Bait and Tackle and they will set you up.
    Night fishing is best and so is live bait but both are a bit harder than fishing by day.

12. bonessk01

bonessk01 Pirate

do you have your dates picked yet? i second the popping cork small jig with a piece of shrimp fish bite almost indestructible and it catches fish as said.