1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Trolling Motors For All Boats - Small To Large....

Discussion in 'Boat Supply, Boat Parts, Boat Information etc…' started by Nautical Gator, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Trolling motors for all boats - Small to Large....

From mid size boats bow attached to larger sized duel trim tab attached

Bow Mounted Trolling Motor

[​IMG]

Offshore Boat Trolling Motor

attachment.jpg

img_5776-1-jpg.jpg

Rhodan Marine 36volt, 120lb thrust, 84" MONSTER trolling motor
    https://rhodanmarine.com/product/hd-gps-anchor-trolling-motor-36v/

NOTE: these trolling motors are large, and can be used for offshore fishing, BUT, you need to know that you will need to place them in the water and pull them back out of the water manually, because they are not motorized. Also the seas need to be calm, if the seas have any lift, then the motor and prop will be coming out of the water and not hold you in place...

So you should also have a windless for them swell days, which is more often then not....

12743503_1076950745658672_4419936030069502475_n.jpg

attachment.jpg

and the Duel Prop Motor Mounted or Trim Tab mounted Trolling motors
    they have upto 160 lbs of thrust...

Motor Mounted Duel Mounted Trolling Motors

602320-51.jpg

Duel Bracket Mounted Trolling Motors

46140511.silentpredator1.jpg

Triple Motor Mounted Trolling Motors (people getting creative)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzpoiJ2wda2LdnV0NLflkSHJGrNY13ZfEJjroJZA3763B_YlDc.jpg

Duel Trim Tab Mounted Trolling Motors

upload_2018-2-21_6-44-0.jpeg

22OutrageTrollTabs700x454.jpg

len-63529.jpg

Shrimp Gritter and mkyota1 like this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

How to install a trolling motor on a boat with Bow Railing....

Mounting A Trolling Motor

You can mount a trolling motor on a boat with a bow rail, if you do a little planning first.

bow-mounted-trolling-motor.jpg

Bow-mounted trolling motors are designed for use aboard boats with level bows and no rail. If your boat lacks the former and offers the latter, a bit of "messing about" can get you around both obstacles and allow you to enjoy the benefits of a bow-mounted electric motor.

Bow-mounted electric trolling motors are practically required equipment aboard many trailerable fishing boats. Pulling rather than pushing the boat with power that exceeds 100 pounds of thrust on some models, a trolling motor permits quick, precise maneuverability that is nearly silent, which is appreciated by anglers and wildlife watchers alike.

The motors are stowed flat on the forward deck atop integrated mounts and flipped over the bow into a vertical position with the motor head in the water when deployed. That portable flip-up/down design is perfect for boats with flat, open bows, but not so much for owners of boats with bow rails and angles up front. Our project boat carries both features. Here's how we faced them when installing a Minn Kota RipTide ST, which features a quick-release bracket onto which the motor's base can be secured.

The motor's mounting pad must be horizontal to the water. To achieve that on this boat, a mounting plate had to be fabricated to compensate for the angled edge of the bow deck. We used a piece of aluminum diamond plate bent into a "V" at the proper angle and secured to the deck with stainless steel bolts and an aluminum backing plate (see photo 2). You can skip this process if your boat has a flat bow area suitable for the motor's mounting pad.

The bow rail presents a tougher problem because it prevents the motor from being able to flip from the horizontal (stowed) to the vertical (operating) position. We didn't want to remove the bow rail to accommodate the electric motor and came up with a solution that allowed us to retain the rail.

• deciding-where-to-mount-motor.jpg

• marking-the-location.jpg
    1. Hold the motor in the operating position to get an idea of where to mount the base pad on the bow.

2. Mark the location for the plate supporting the mounting pad and secure it to the deck.

• determine-where-shaft-will-pass-bow.jpg

• cut-out-section-bow-rail.jpg
    3. Secure the motor in the quick-release pad to determine where the shaft will have to pass through the bow rail when being stowed and deployed, and mark.

4. Cut out the section of bow rail that interferes with the motor's shaft. In our case, we removed about a three-inch section.

• measure-and-cut-railing.jpg

• drill-holes-for-quick-release-pins.jpg
    5. Using a section of stainless steel tubing one size larger in diameter than the bow rail, measure and cut a piece long enough to bridge the gap while sheathing at least two inches of the original railing on either side of the gap. Our bow rail is made of 7/8-inch tubing and 1/8-inch length of 1-inch-diameter tube provided a snug yet easy-to-slide fit over the remaining rail sections.

6. Center the tube over the gap and drill 1/4-inch holes for quick-release ring pins used to secure the sleeve in the closed position.

• sliding-sleeve-open.jpg

• inserting-quick-release-pins.jpg
    7. Slide the sleeve to the open position and drill one more hole to allow it to be secured with a pin on the open position when deploying the motor.

8. Insert quick-release pins in each position to make sure the holes line up and the sleeve is secure in both.

• test-deployment-and-stow.jpg

• final-mounted-trolling-motor.jpg
    9. Place the motor on the pad and test the deploy-and-stow process.

Note: If the motor will obscure your bow light, remove it if you are underway after dark.

3. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

That is some creative electric motor configureations.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. JDP

JDP Pirate

Goes in the category of anything is possible

5. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Some great info and perspectives, thanks.

6. nat55611

nat55611 Cabin Boy

Good info now all I need is $5000 to buy trolling motor lol

7. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

Wow, some of those weren't trolling motors they look more like flag poles.

8. JWC

JWC Pirate

A1BC0372-DE1E-4201-8849-52790B52F4F0.jpeg Great info and ideas.... I’m going to put a minn Kota 80 thrust with handle on my 17 foot century and it has rails.... I’m not sure how I’m going to do it yet... I’m thinking of dumping the bow rail... but then I will have a bunch of holes from pulling rail off.... Jeffrey

9. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Don't have a pic, but when I mounted a trolling motor to my old 2003 21' Everglades Skiff, I simply cut a section of the bow railing away and sealed both of the cut ends with a PVC pipe cap. It worked pretty well.

10. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

If I though it would not effect the integrity of my vessels bow rails I would do it. but I was told that the vibration would take its toll on the gel coating and weld etc...
    but I have been looking into this? but I think my boat is just to high from the water.

What size shaft do I need?
    Using the formula below will be adequate for most boats in calm conditions. If rough conditions occur we recommend moving up a size in shaft length. Shaft lengths are 48”, 54”, 60”, 72″, 84″.

(Bow Height) + 18” +(Wave Height) = (Shaft Length)

upload_2018-8-31_8-12-4.png

it would have to be the hinge type?

upload_2018-8-31_9-0-42.png

Nocatfish likes this.
  11. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

I really didn't want to cut my bow rail but I did it anyways. I didnt want to remove it completely because we really use it when bouncing around up front when using the fish box or deploying the trolling motor. It still seems strong. There is no excess flexing.

I have no idea on shaft length as on a big boat like yours Sam. That is a lot of boat.

Nocatfish likes this.
  12. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I should probably take a 84" PVC pipe out on my next trip and see how it looks in the water? Smiley Signs002::1

it would be nice to hold in place @ 250 plus feet

Bossman and mkyota1 like this.
  13. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I'd be curious to see if the 84" would work on your boat Sam. It sits high and might reach the water but if you have 2-3' seas might have issues.

14. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Had a friend that owned a 31ft CC and the Rhodan 84' trolling motor worked great. In a stiff current it will drain quicker, but it WILL hold a big boat.

15. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Swabbie

I saw an airboat with the trim tab mounted motors.

Finally. Reverse for airboats!

16. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Will the Rhodan HD GPS Anchor+® Trolling Motor maintain the boat’s position in a fast current?
    The 80 pound Rhodan HD GPS Anchor+® Trolling Motor will typically counteract a two knot current unaided. If the river current overpowers the trolling motor, you can use the main engine at a low power setting to aid the system.

They been out of stock on the 84 inch for over six months now... it has been stated that it is because they are trying to solve some problems that they were having with the unit?

upload_2018-9-1_4-23-31.png

17. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

That would be a good addition to your rig, Sam. You have anchoring down, but it still takes time.

18. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I just called up Yandina and they said that I could use my three battery's I now have on my boat, and add three more like this, and my motor will charge, and my battery charger will also change them all...

I would need to run 30 foot of #4 Gauge Positive and Negative wiring to the trolling motor at the bow.

like this.
    https://www.yandina.com/troll36info.htm

Trolling Bridge
    36 Volt Charger / Combiner

$199 List Price
    $185.00 Sale Price

upload_2018-9-6_11-38-51.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-37-25.png

The Trollbridge36® Combiner allows you to charge your 36 volt trolling motor battery from the 12 volt alternator on your main engine, a single output charger. or trailer hook-up. It works by putting three 12 volt batteries in series when you need to run the trolling motor and in parallel for charging. It has a built in Combiner function so the trolling batteries will never steal power from your starting battery.

The Trollbridge36 is suitable for installations with alternators up to 100 amps and a 36 volt trolling motor up to 85 amps.

Click to download and view the owner's instruction manual using the Acrobat viewer. (Two pages with wiring diagrams).

See the Trollbridge36 FAQ for answers to common questions and to send us a technical question.

Features:-
    • Fully automatic, no switches or connectors to change
    • Compatible with THREE or FOUR battery systems.
    • In a 3 battery system, the bottom battery can be used as a house and/or starting battery
    • Built in Combiner100, no extra items to purchase
    • A single output 12 volt charger will charge all batteries
    • Can be conveniently located with the batteries
    • Rated for 12 volt alternators up to 100 amps
    • Rated for 36 volt trolling motors up to 85 amps
    • LED indicates when the trolling batteries are charging
    • Connection provided for oprional remote LED
    • Nearly UNLIMITED warranty
    • Charging is done at 12 volts so your motor never sees charging voltages
    • 100% efficient when trolling for longer run times
    • 97% efficient when charging - faster charge - no wasted power - no heating
    • Waterproof - rated IP68 Protected from long term immersion
    • Ignition rated for explosive atmospheres
    • No voltage drop so batteries reach full charge
    • No voltage drop so motor gets full power
    • No wasted power, no heat sink or cooling fan required
    • No modification to alternator or 12 volt engine wiring
    • Simple 6 wire connection to three batteries and a charging input line
    • Comes with all cables for basic hookup
    • Uses no current when not charging - no on/off switch needed
    • Uses only 1/2 amp when charging
    • No diodes to burn out if accidentally shorted
    • Withstands ambient temperature to over 175 F (80 C) for engine compartment mounting
    • Remote radio link push button to enable running both motors at the same time

mkyota1 likes this.
  19. nat55611

nat55611 Cabin Boy

I got put on the 10 eeek waiting list for 36v 84” rhodan and just bought the troll bridge

Bossman, Nautical Gator and mkyota1 like this.
  20. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Very cool. Congrats! I know you will enjoy it.