1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Trolling From A Sailboat?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by SailFisher, Jun 16, 2018.

1. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

I was wondering if I was to troll from 1-10 miles offshore from Ponce Inlet with a roughly 35ft sailboat would I have much chance of success? My concern is that while under sail I would probably only have a speed of 4-6 knots. Would that be too slow?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

4-6 knots would be OK, but you would have to troll over some of the structure that is found on the charts.

SailFisher likes this.
  3. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

I suppose I'll have to adjust the weight vs speed in order to get the bait/lure to be at the preferred depth. I read some stuff about trolling very fast to keep the bait skipping on the top. I expect I have a lot of learning ahead of me.

4. Nautical Gator

5. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

6. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

You can troll a deep diving lure too - kings like those. You can even troll a 1 oz white bucktail and probably get kings, jacks, spanish macks, and bonito.

Dragging ballyhoo on top close to shore like that will likely result in some kings - you will want a second hook on the bait cause kings often chop em in half.

SailFisher likes this.
  7. Nautical Gator

why does anyone even want to catch these? All throw backs... Yuck LOL

8. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

LOL!

I like kings and spanish macks for eating. Jack crevealle and bonito are fun to bend a pole. AJs are another fish I eat.

I just can't see anyone getting many mahi trolling 1-10 miles out at Ponce. A fine goal to be sure, but severely limiting the playing field by trolling so close/shallow.

9. Nautical Gator

I know I catch them as well, he has a 35ft sailboat, he cane get out deep...

for me I am very picky about the taste of fish, If I need to smoke them or coverup the fishiness, it's not for me... I either give away the fish I do not want of throw them back... Neighbors love me LOL

when I am fishing inshore, there are plenty of good tasting fish around to target...

The Mangroves are all over now, and will be think in July... Load up.

SailFisher likes this.
  10. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

Trying to get offshore for the mangroves... Have lost 2 weekends so far. Maybe this weekend will be diff - last chance until after July 4th...

I've not been sailing but pretty sure it is a nice way to enjoy the day. Catching a fish or two on top of that would be like icing on the cake.

11. Nautical Gator

Yup the moon is just right and the condition should be perfect, 1-2 ft 9 seconds, and dry air... good for an all nighter... Fish all night, then Troll in the Morning, perfect combo situation...

upload_2018-6-19_8-33-25.png

upload_2018-6-19_8-33-48.png

12. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Thank you. I see some people doen't like to eat kings jacks and Spanish. It is my understanding that the mackerels can contain high levels of mercury so they shouldn't be eaten to often, but if we catch a few well eat them and see if we like them. Been landlocked in Oklahoma for 20 years. 40 miles to a Walmart. Not much access to a variety of fresh seafood. lol

Troy von Blankenburg likes this.
  13. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

We don't have the boat yet, but 35ft is about the minimum we are looking for. Weather permitting we can get out pretty far and do overnights. We have a contract on the sale of our house and the appraisal was done yesterday. The sailing/fishing life is getting closer. :)

14. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

The seafood thing is the same as my nephew in KS - he always brings a care package back with him when he goes home. Not much seafood available there.

We all have different tastes and such. Take bluefish for example - the meat is dark but is very mild if you keep a small one and eat it within a couple of days of catching it. Freeze that fillet and it get stronger tasting.
    I don't like strong tasting fish and absolutely refuse to eat a fish if it smells like a fish market - canned tuna is absolutely not happening.

You'll figure out what you like and what you want to eat. The mercury thing is for the larger fish, and more for women who are gonna have kids, and kids. If you are retiring, you don't have to worry about it as much. I don't fish freshwater down here, most of the lakes in the vicinity of my house are tainted with pesticides and herbicides from historical citrus groves - the fish have tested positive and I'm not eating them - as such I don't fish for them.

Take your time on the boat - if you already have sailing experience and know what you are doing - great. If not, get the experience BEFORE you buy a boat. Lot's of folks get excited and buy boats they don't understand, end up having to sell them and either get something else or take up golf. A 35 ft sail boat is a big boat and probably costly too.

15. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Good advice on the boat. I was crew for competition sailing Spring through Fall from age 15 through 32 on 36+ foots yachts . Crewed the round Long Island Regatta every year. Crewed on a Swan 48 from Bermuda to Newport (5 days in heavy seas). I'll just need to get my sea legs again and teach my wife and sons. Close to shore at first but not to close if winds are from the East. Yeah, we are all old enough to not worry much about the mercury. We are certainly not making babies anymore. :)

Tele Caster and Nautical Gator like this.
  16. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

Glad to hear that. You've got the experience for that size boat for sure. I always wanted to learn how to sail but time being what it is...maybe when I retire.

SailFisher likes this.
  17. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

The trick is to error on the side of caution. The funny thing is that when you're racing, you do the exact opposite. You certainly get to know a boat and it's crew's limits. The good thing is it forces you to experience sailing in all types of weather. Fair weather sailors aren't prepared of the wrath of a big squall.

18. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

Grew up fishing Montauk, long island sound, and the various rips and guts throughout - it would go from flat calm to unorganized seas on a tidal change, nice thing is that there was usually a way around the roughest stuff.

Being out in the ocean and having a squall line descending on you has to be quite the experience. Reminiscent of the explorers of old - but with much better equipment.

SailFisher likes this.
  19. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

The wildest ride I ever experienced was sailing thru Plum Gut in a gale. Wind was at our back. We were wing on wing (one sail out each side of the boat). We were surfing down giant waves with a 36ft C&C. Once we were about half way down the wave the entire boat would start shuddering heavily because we were exceeding hull speed. We had a super experienced skipper on board to take us to the limit without destroying the boat or betting us killed. Several other boats in the area were dismasted. Fun times.

David Orlando and Tele Caster like this.
  20. SailFisher

SailFisher Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Sorry to get off the fishing topic. I'm just excited to get back on the sea.