1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Trolling Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by NateHawg, Jul 1, 2019.

1. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate
    Thread Started By

Alright, here goes...looking for any advice on trolling etiquette. Been boating most of my life, but relatively new to the offshore game, trolling included.

Many of my offshore trips, I’ve only encountered one or two boats trolling the same area at the same time. Direction and spacing seemed pretty easy to figure out. Fast forward to this past week down in Marathon. Pulled up to the “Hump” area, either to find or soon be joined by a number of other trolling boats (counted 19 one day). A few drifters were also peppered in as well.

With respect to current and depth contours, it seemed that everyone was going every which way, with no discernible pattern, or giving way to any other boat. Needless to say, I didn’t stay in the area long.

Just wondering if there were any good rules of thumb to follow. I’m sure I was “that guy” out there, just wondering if I was the only idiot in the village, lol.

Thanks for any insight anybody is willing to share!

2. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Swabbie

Great question. Do colregs (collision regulations) apply when trolling?

3. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate
    Thread Started By

Interesting thought. Not sure how they’d be applied, lots of crossing/overtaking from all directions so no idea who would stand-on or give way.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

the only common sense rule is to not troll over another boats line... I do not like trolling around other boat, the pressure is on the fish and they move on... but if the fishing is hot, specifically around commercial boats look out...

NateHawg likes this.
  5. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Seaworthy

Even if there were rules established as to the etiquette of trolling, rest assured, you would likely be the only one out there that knew/obeyed them anyway. Best to just use common sense and don't be a jerk.

NateHawg, Rich M and Greenedog like this.
  6. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

Do unto others...

I find it funny that some boaters will use their trolling spreads as shields and try to block folks with them. Example - trolling at the 20 mile buoy out of Canaveral, 2 boats headed to buoy, guy on right speeds up and cuts to left side of buoy to block other guy as opposed to just trolling along the right side.

The Marathon Hump is a circus, you can troll thru and see 1,000 boats, come by an hour or two later and 0. Hit or miss with that one.

When power meets power
    • You must give way to another vessel on your starboard. (right)
    • If you meet head on, both vessels must turn to starboard. (right)
    I had a guy in a pontoon go bonkers last year - I was coming from his right side in a CC and just cruising along at about 25 mph and he was coming from my left doing about the same. Meeting like a +. Neither of us slowed down and I passed behind his boat - he was wigging out. LOL!

NateHawg likes this.
  7. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate
    Thread Started By

Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of that happening out there, nobody wanted to give way to anyone else. Got out early and had it all to myself a couple of mornings, then Bam! Boats all around... I just tried to gently work my way out of the crowd, which was a task in itself, lol.

8. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate
    Thread Started By

I think you’re right about that Sam. Nobody seemed to be getting anything, and as soon as I would move about a 1/4 mile away from the circus, I’d get hooked up on some fish. Probably just coincidence in my case, but that made the day a lot more fun. Thanks for the insight!

9. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate
    Thread Started By

Isn’t that the truth, sometimes common sense is t so common, lol