1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Thursday 1/3 Canaveral Bite Fishing Report

Discussion in 'Near-shore Fishing Reports (R)' started by enders game, Jan 3, 2019.

1. enders game

enders game Able Bodied Sailor
    Fishing Report By

After three dull surf fishing trips in a row, I decided to fish the Canaveral Bite in my flats boat. Water was calm, with rollers still coming in from the east. I drifted with cut bait and landed over 25 croakers and 15 whiting along with a sharp nose shark. But the catch of the day proved to be a 40 inch redfish that put up a strong fight and made the trip memorable. Here is a photo of the big red.
    IMG_0902.JPG

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Man, as if 25 Croaker and 15 Whiting wasn’t memoarable enough! Almost worth three slow days in the surf.
    Great catch. Sounds like a great day. Thanks for the update.

3. neal gamby

neal gamby Pirate

Nice catch, And a great red!

4. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

What a trip! Congrats! :big fish:

5. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Nice load up there! What is the “Bite”?

6. Karl B

Karl B Rigger

Congrats, and glad to see someone having an active day. Thanks for posting.

7. enders game

Fishing Report By

North of the Canaveral Port, the beach curves northward and somewhat easterly to a point. Look on a chart and you will see what I am saying. The Bite or Bight, is about midway up that curve and a bit offshore. Yesterday the fish were in deeper water among schools of menhaden where charter boats stopped to net them for trolling offshore at 8a or elsewhere. Hope that helps.

8. Slow days make these days even better! Great job on the day!

9. enders game

Fishing Report By

One thing is for sure, you never can tell what will happen unless you go and fish to the end.

10. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

That's a nice red!

Any size to the croakers or whiting?

11. enders game

Fishing Report By

Most were small, but six or so of the croakers and whiting were medium to large.

12. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Sounds like a fun day of constant action. Good to hear there’s still some bait out there too. Thanks for sharing

13. enders game

Fishing Report By

The next two days the weatherman predicts winds will be westerly, so the fishing should still be good. I caught the bull red on a sliding sinker rig attached to 20 pound mono leader with a 2/0 circle hook. I was drifting a mall sliver of cut croaker on the bottom. I believe the redfish are feeding below the menhaden with larger ones near the bottom. Last year in similar conditions I landed three close to the same area. Guys that were freelining cut bait seem to have caught smaller ones, only last year the mullet appeared there in late November instead of early January. Some boats were trolling, but I didn't see any of them catching fish. Weekend should be good fishing there if you don't watch football on TV.

14. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Nice catch on the big red fish!

15. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

Great report and catch! That red put up a helluva fight!

16. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

Thanks for the report, sounds like you slayed'em.

17. Nice catch and post. Thanks Enders.

18. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

Very nice catch!! Congrats

19. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Real nice red, and thanks for all the info. I have never fished that area north of the port, but would love to. I know for a fact that Bull and Hensel Shoals west of the night have been on fire of late.

20. Vectorman

Vectorman Pirate

Very nice red!! thanks for the photo