1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

The Floridian Riverkeeper Fighting Back Monstrous Algae Blooms

Discussion in 'Areas of Interest' started by Muggin Mullet, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Muggin Mullet

Muggin Mullet Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Motherboard joined up with the "River Keeper" - Marty Baum

Marty Baum, the Indian River Lagoon "Riverkeeper," works with local scientists to fight the toxic pollution and algae blooms taking over Florida's waterways.

Motherboard has a large following so Im guessing the saying " any publicity is good publicity " comes in here. But publicity can be tricky. Especially when it prevents people from traveling to an area. But sometimes losses are needed for a larger gain.The issue is making itself know outside the state of FL now. Ive been saying for a long time that if this hurts the pockets of business owners and FL's tax dollars then maybe the correct measures will be taken. Less visitors, less dinero.

2. That man is a hero in my book. The health of our state waters and the well-being of our fishery is definitely my #1 political concern.

Muggin Mullet likes this.
  3. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

What a fantastic post. THank You MM
    This guy is a hero. And his team as well.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Great Post, here is his website:

The Indian Riverkeeper is a local grassroots environmental organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the waters of North America’s most diverse estuary.

Carl-Miller-IMG_5074.jpg

You have the right to clean water. You are the owner of the Indian River Lagoon. Pollution is theft. Government is entrusted to protect our waterways for the use and enjoyment of the public. When government fails, it is the right and responsibility of citizens to enforce environmental laws and protect our right to clean water.

MESSAGE FROM THE INDIAN RIVERKEEPER, MARTY BAUM

Like many ecosystems worldwide, our lagoon is in trouble. Water management, drainage and land use policies have chipped away at the very things that protect our waters. We have made many mistakes over the years and they are now coming back to haunt us by killing our beautiful estuary. We are near a tipping point. Large infusions of tainted storm water and agricultural runoff from watersheds not naturally connected to the lagoon are taking a heavy toll. Once again, the threat of more dirty Okeechobee Lake discharges loom on the horizon.

You have the right to clean water. You are the owner of your rivers and coastal estuary. U.S. federal law gives citizens the power to prosecute environmental crimes, and Waterkeeper organizations, including the Indian Riverkeeper, enforce these laws, patrolling our waterways and protecting our communities. But we need help. We can’t do it alone. If enough of you get involved and demand clean water, we can make it happen. Join me, and let’s work together to preserve and restore our legacy, the Indian River Lagoon.

http://indianriverkeeper.org/

5. Pirata

Pirata Newbie

We all need to protect the environment for the future of the planet. The man is a hero. Those who oppose clean air and water are villains.

Muggin Mullet likes this.
  6. Muggin Mullet

Muggin Mullet Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Residential pesticide application is also contributing factor.

I was born into the pest control business. For years shady companies got away with murder.Theres a huge responsibility that comes along with applying around water and the state finally decided it was time to start holding these shady companies accountable. Its become so strict up North with pesticide applications around bodies of water that many of the shady companies have either complying or stopped looking for work in those areas now because the DEC ( NYs FWC ) started to produce extremely large fines/jail and some owners even lost their business completely.

I cringe when I see how often people along waterways here in FL are receiving treatments. Don't get me started on the applicators spraying along the waters edge.Imo FL is far to laid back when it comes to rules and regulations of pesticide. And if the rules/regulation is there then its an enforcement issue. Hopefully something gets done soon.

7. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Wow this blew me away. God bless Marty Baum and other people like him. When are we all going to wake up and realise that we are the earth's keeper, it's all of our responsibility to take care of her. Like Marty says in the video, how will our grandchildren and great grandchildren view us if we all just stand back and let this atrocity continue?

Shrimp Gritter and Muggin Mullet like this.