1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Stone Crabs! 11/10/19 Report

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by gatorx07, Nov 14, 2019.

1. gatorx07

gatorx07 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Had Ten stone crab traps soaking for 4 weeks in 10 feet of water off Aripeka, FL

Only kept one claw per crab and brought home 50 claws! Few jumbos, bunch of large, and most medium sized. Even threw 15 keeper crabs back (with both claws) as we had so much already. Leave them for next time. Re baited traps and headed back in 3 weeks

Great time and took my 8 year old Daughter with me and we had a blast!

Joe likes this.
  2. That sounds great! If I’m not mistaken they grow that claw back to be reharvested, correct?

some good eats right there

3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Yummy! Quite a haul you made. The best part is they aren’t near the amount of work eating them as blue crabs.

4. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

Good job! I should try for some myself! Not too many around here though (South Daytona area).
    When I kept some traps under my boat I used to get them rather regularly.
    I'm surprisde you are rebaiting every 3 - 4 weeks. I would figure the bait woul be gone by then!
    I used old fish racks and it would be gone in 2 - 3 days! Pig lasts longer! What are you using?

5. duffy

duffy Blackbeard

Very cool. I think I snagged some of your traps on my boat. JK. You do have to be careful for those things.

6. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Mate

What a great haul! Congrats, sounds like a crab feast going on at your place.

7. gatorx07

gatorx07 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Yes, you are allowed to harvest both claws but only taking one claw increase potential for stone crab survival and the claws do grow back so it seems to be more of a sustainable fishery.

Yes, way easier/less work to eat stone crabs vs blue crab and stone crab meat is AWESOME - very sweet!

If you use pig's feet (trotters) it lasts a lot longer in the trap as compared to fish as bait. I could not find trotters for the re-baiting so I used pig neck bone-in.

Funny you mention this Duffy, as one of my lines was broken off and I had to dive down to pick up the trap. I am pretty sure someone accidentally ran it over with the proper and cut the line. Lots of crab traps out there on the West coast

8. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Yes there is a bunch of traps on the west coast I have a buddy that crabs for a living. He uses pig feet with some concoctions.

9. Jared

Jared Pirate

Great haul— very tasty

10. Joe

Joe Greenhorn

Excellent catch, unfortunately haven’t been lucky here in Ft Myers to date...Red Tide hit us hard

11. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

Getting ready to go set mine out today. This will be my first attempt, hope I do half as well as you did!

12. gatorx07

gatorx07 Pirate
    Thread Started By

Good luck! Hope it went well. Where are you soaking the traps?

13. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

Dropped them in the Halifax river just north of Ponce inlet. Heading out today to go check them for the first time! Will report back.

14. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

Well. After soaking for a week I pulled the traps today. Three catfish and one baby blue crab. I rebated them any tossed em back in anyways.

15. mak

Aw that sucks. Hopefully you will have some on your next check.

16. gatorx07

gatorx07 Pirate
    Thread Started By

That's lots of work for not bringing anything home. At least, you are getting out there! Keep at it!

17. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

My buddy over here on the west coast took a picture of this one last week. I'll tell you what if that doesn't make you want to get the butter hot what will?

Screenshot_20191203-100747_Facebook.jpg

18. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

I harvested three claws on Thursday. Better than none.

19. mak

Lots of work for not many claws. Maybe they will make it to your traps soon.

20. Ian Whitehurst

Ian Whitehurst Greenhorn

ran some stone crab traps last year in the Indian river cocoa to titusville area last year between jan-april and averaged about 3 claws per trap after 10-12 day soak-- have not had time this year to get them back out.