1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Stern Light Law For Night Shrimping. (how To Cut Down The Glare)

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by Jeepster, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

I was informed by a shrimping buddy that the stern light must be on while anchored and shrimping. Any suggestions on killing the blinding glare from this light?

Baccarac likes this.
  2. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate

I wonder why they are cracking down on this now. But maybe get a different bulb

3. Fishfinder

Fishfinder Blackbeard

My understanding is that whenever you are anchored between dusk and dawn, the stern light must be on

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

put a plastic cup over it.

mak, Shrimp Gritter and Srfrdave like this.
  5. Jeepster

Jeepster Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Cool beans. The most simple fixes can be the best fixes.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

You can dim it a little, cups work. Regs. require it to be visible 360. Although the way some boaters drive at night one would assume they don't see any lights....

7. Shallowminded6

Shallowminded6 Greenhorn

Just make sure it is clear plastic so it is still visible. Im sure you will still get pulled over otherwise.

8. famous82

famous82 Pirate

Yeah, that anchor light needs to remain visible. But I agree with you, the glare can be a pain.

9. Tarpun

Tarpun Pirate

My stern light is mounted 6 1/2' above the deck with a round 4" black disk at the base of the bulb. No glare in my eyes or on the deck.

Jeepster likes this.
  10. mrfish1963

mrfish1963 Greenhorn

I like that idea, the glare from mine blinds me terribly, I am going to give it a try on my next trip