1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Spinning Reel Troubleshooting/repair

Discussion in 'How to Section… DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by mak, Jul 15, 2020.

1. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Anyone have any suggestions for a website with good info regarding spinning reel troubleshooting/maintenance? Or maybe you have some input to help me figure out what is wrong.
    I’ve got 4 Daiwa BG 2500 all purchased about a year ago. All used about the same amount and immediately rinsed after each use. One had started intermittently become difficult to turn. It will be running smooth and is easy to turn and all of a sudden will get very tight and hard to turn for part of the handle rotation. Then it will smooth out and every 3-4 turns get real tight and hard to push through. It does not happen at any particular point in the spool travel forward or backward (i.e. all the way out or all the way in). It doesn’t happen at any particular point in the handle orientation.
    I’m assuming I have a bad bearing but can’t identify which one. I completely disassembled it and another. Both looked identical inside regarding lubrication, cleanliness, etc. I completely cleaned each gear and component and recoated with grease. The bearings were just wiped off and given a new outer coating of grease. All of the bearings seemed to turn smoothly and did not feel rough or gritty or tight...
    Same problem again after reassembly. The problem actually went away for the better part of a day after a couple hours of use, and then returned again the next day. I’ve also noticed that when I take it off the rod and it has no tension on the line, I can reel for long periods of time and not replicate the problem. The problem only seems to occur occasionally and only when tension is on the line...
    This morning another one of the reels started doing the same thing...
    Thoughts? Suggestions? yeah, I know I can take it to a repair shop but I hate not fixing stuff myself and Not sure they could fix anyway if they can’t reliably replicate the problem.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I had the same problem, mine with those new O-Rings that they are now using...

3. mak

Thread Started By

Did you get them fixed or are they still Having that problem?

4. Nautical Gator

took it apart like in this video... replaced them...

mak likes this.
  5. Nautical Gator

oh it was only about two months old at the time.

mak likes this.
  6. mak

Thread Started By

And o-rings caused the problem. Wow, that’s crazy. I’ll watch the video shortly. thanks Awesome1::1

7. Nautical Gator

at the time I call up Penn support, told them about it being stiff and they said it could be the O-rings... so I lubed it like in the video. could have been the O-Rings not sure, but it worked.

mak likes this.
  8. mak

Thread Started By

Oh ok. I watched the whole vid and had already done all that. Didn’t see anything about o-rings causing a problem.

9. Nautical Gator

no but you seen the O-ring. i would change them, especially since you did everything else.

also is your bail roller spinning?

10. mak

Thread Started By

Yeah, roller bearing is fine.