1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Snook Question

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by mak, Jan 23, 2019.

1. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Anyone know much about Snook and their habitat and behavior?
    I fairly regularly catch small Snook when throwing my cast net in the canal off our dock (Flagler Beach). A couple times I have caught them in the 8-10” range but mostly I see a lot of small fingerling size in the 4”-6” range. Yesterday I caught four in one cast and this morning I had three in one cast, and saw three more in subsequent throws. They are usually in the net at the same time I’m catching small mullet and some other little baitfish I need to identify.
    It’s a narrow canal and only about 18” deep at dead low tide in front of the dock. The mouth to the ICW is 150 yards away There is a concrete seawall along our property but sandy bank on other side with some overhanging Brazilian Pepper and Mangrove. Only thing I have ever caught out there is some Mangrove Snapper, a couple Sheepshead, and catfish. I’ve caught Redfish and Trout at the mouth but never up in the canal.
    So the question is, do fingerling Snook hang out in areas not frequented by larger Snook? The adults will just as soon eat their little ones as anything else? Do little ones travel in schools of mullet? Or, since little Snook are present, I should expect that there would be some big ones around during the right conditions?
    Thanks

2. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Matey

That is a very interesting question.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I will take you out for some Snook after I get back on the water.
    you can hear Snook popping the water at night around the docks.
    in early mornings, they are right up close to wall and rocks. cast and work your lure parallel to them.

4. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

I remember you pointed out some good Snook spots when we were out. I’ve targeted some similar looking spots up this way, so far with no success. I’ve heard about that popping noise they make before but am not sure if I’ve actually heard it. At night I often hear a popping/splashing but figured it was just the mullet splashing. I have tossed plugs and live-lined mullet out there at night when I can hear the baitfish splashing but have never had any hits.

5. Baccarac

Baccarac Pirate

today is there a spook

6. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Carpenter

I have caught large snook on a variety of baits, from Freelined shrimp and Pinfish to croakers. I have noticed the larger snook prefer a large bait. I catch them around the jetty’s at canaveral and Sebastian inlet. They also like “ambush” areas, so under docks is a good place, and rock walls and such. Also, if i am fishing by the jetty’s I will toss the bait darn near to almost on top of the rocks. I prefer this, unless you see the school on the fishfinder, then toss near that school.

I’m not really sure about the fingerlings (snook) you are asking about. I would assume they travel in schools, and can be eaten by large snook. Hope this was at all helpful. Snook season about to start Feb 1 for East coast. Still catch and release on west coast in many areas.

7. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

I’ve only reeled-in a couple so far. Haven’t specifically targeted them on any trips. I guess the fact that I have and often net little ones is a good sign that there is a decent population up here somewhere. Just need to start hitting the structure you mention.

8. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

I have castnetted a few little snook around palm coast. They have all come while casting on schools of mullet along an open shore line. I dont really know if they are swimming with the mullet or just a coincidence. I have no Idea about getting eaten but it would not suprise me. g3 pics 2296.jpg

9. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Yeah, they are definitely in here with the mullet right now. I went out last night and threw the net about ten times and had Mullet and Snook in every cast I didn’t flub. Most were the size in your pic or slightly larger, and one that was about a foot long.

mkyota1 likes this.
  10. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Matey

I love hearing this stuff. I think it means the population is growing. If we can get a few years without any really hard freezes.