1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping Palatka Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by MannyManuel, Aug 19, 2019.

1. MannyManuel

MannyManuel Junior Member
    Thread Started By

I've been wanting to head out to palatka and try some castnet shrimping. I've been researching it's best with a fish finder, I still dont have one on the boat. Any tips? Is it deep pretty much all around? Not knowing the area I'm hesitant running aground. I want some shrimps!

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

it is also done off of docks

3. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

I've been researching it some too but don't think I'd try it in a new boat with no graph. It's hard to tell 3' of water from 30' in that black water. I guess if you were to try it you could just find where the other shrimpers are and hope to get lucky.

4. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Master Gunner

Throw on the edge of the channel, if you stay close to a marker you should be able to find where the channel is. If it's the weekend, the other boats will show you where the channel is, just be courteous. Obviously a depth finder would increase your chances, but not a deal breaker. Good luck!

5. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

And by chance if you go and throw off a dock be sure to stay clear from areas where there are X's carved in the rail. You will either loose your net or rip it really bad. Make sure you have enough rope on your net to reach the bottom where ever they maybe, the bottom of the shelf or the top of the shelf. You might need 30' of rope to reach the bottom with a ribbon at the bottom of your net or simply place 2 pieces of duct tape (inside/outside) your net about a foot up from the bottom.
    A popular place is up where the power lines cross the river. Good luck!

mak likes this.