1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping On A Kayak

Discussion in 'Kayaking - Ramps, Locations, Fishing Trip Plans' started by diverdown7, Jul 19, 2017.

1. diverdown7

diverdown7 Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

What are your thoughts and experience? My wife and I shrimper from the kayaks a few months ago and had a blast. I have lights rigged on my kayak and I drop a 4' green light down.

IMG_0016.JPG

mkyota1 likes this.
  2. Patty Wagon

Patty Wagon Treasure Hunter

Nice light!
    Hang that 5-7 feet below the surface and you have game on!
    My freezer is still full from winter shrimping.

Myrt likes this.
  3. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Matey

Nice rig. My freezer still has a few bags left in it too.

4. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Oh yeah I could see my fat azz throwing out of a yak...

5. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Cabin Boy

I have known a few people who have shrimp out of kayaks before one flipped with all his stuff and one guy hurt his back dipping . I flounder gigg off mine its a 10 foot Ascend super wide can stand up no problem on it . I throw my cast net off it all the time . Dont think i would try dipping off it though i probably fall off .

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

7. diverdown7

diverdown7 Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

The lights are really bright at night, the drop light lights up well also. Tons of crab and shrimp flock to it

8. Ifish

Ifish Greenhorn

Nice setup. What kind of lights are you using?

9. Skirger

Skirger Greenhorn

I'm always up for a challenge but that seems extremely difficult

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Pirate

Even in a hobie........I don't think i'd try this but hey.....cudos for getting it done

11. famous82

famous82 Pirate in the making

Nice setup!!! I tried to shrimp from a kayak with just two small drop lights but I imagine you will have no problem spotting the shrimp with those lights!!

12. Kurchekar

Kurchekar Pirate in the making

Never tried it but looks like fun.

13. kayakmike

kayakmike Treasure Hunter

Can u kayak shrimp in the summer or is this just a winter thing?

14. Grumpy

Grumpy Pirate

Looks like a winter set-up to me, but ya never know

15. Gullymania

Gullymania Pirate in the making

What kind of anchor setup are you deploying? Wondering if a heavy single anchor would work with nose into current.

16. jurdun756

jurdun756 Deckhand

Nice setup but i would be more worried about other boaters at night

17. Michael Walker

Michael Walker Master Gunner

wow, I asked this question in here a long time ago,,after hearing all the problems that I could have and all the equipment I need to do it, I decided other wise. Just curios though, does any body know if the shrimping is good up in Jacksonville? I won't try it in my yak, but once I get a decent little boat, I game.

18. Jackie J

Jackie J Newbie

I've been searching online to do this very thing! Just recently moved back in state and bought two kayaks and getting them set up for fishing with my son and Dad. Been out a few times just south of Edgewater with mixed results so far. NOT AT ALL DETERRED of course, very much looking forward to learning better areas. But the thought of shrimping off one is definitely creeping into my head. Would certainly like to chat with someone who's tried dip netting off a kayak. Be checking out options for lights and such. No purchases for shrimping as yet......but the thought is definitely appealing to me!

19. Jackie J

Jackie J Newbie

Also, what length of dip net is "safe" to use? Kinda curious about that one actually. Seems like a shorter length handle would be a must have?