1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping In The Palatka Area

Discussion in 'Shrimping School, Learning, Tips and Tricks' started by Love2Fish, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

Shrimping in the Palatka area

(posted by Chris)

There is shrimp from Lake George to the ocean in Jacksonville. The hottest area is from Palatka to Green Cove Springs and downtown Jacksonville. The whole area has been loaded with shrimp in the past. I have heard of one guy on a boat who cast netted two nets and got over 5 gallons of shrimp. I personally cast net for shrimp from the Green Cove Springs pier several times. First time I shrimped 4 years ago I got 1 1/2 gallons, second time 5 gallons and the third time 2 gallons (in November) in the same year. The next three years shrimping wasn't good. Two ways to shrimp for the brown shrimp found in the St. John's river.

One is during the day. To shrimp in the day, you have to use a boat. It works the best if you have a sonar. The shrimp will be in the deepest areas of the rivers. They will look like a cloud above the floor of the river on the sonar. It is best to use the same type of net you use with white shrimp at Big Tree. The net would have a 2-3 inch strip in the out side edge that slows down and spreads the net out. This type of shrimping is equivilent to the white summer shrimp. I am not experienced with this type of shrimping, but learned from others.

The other way is to shrimp at night is in shallower water. This works best if you use bait to attract the shrimp. At night the shrimp feed, thus they head out of the deeps to eat near the shoreline. This is the kind of shrimping I do for I do not have a boat. I usually shrimp at night at Green Cove Springs. Palatka also has a dock that can be shrimpped from. The pier is lighted, but it is not necessary for catching shrimp. There is no lights needed in the water either. You basicly blind cast over your baited area. The night I got my 5 gallons, I was getting 30 shrimp in one cast. Shrimping starts about 7:30pm at night and will last all night until morning. I usually finished up by 1100pm. One note: Shrimping from a pier means it is 5 gallons per person, not per boat.

The best time to shrimp on the St' John's is from August through the first of November. The earlier you shrimp, the smaller the shrimp will be. Late shrimping in November usually will not give you a full pull. If it rains in the area from a tropical storm or such, there is chances that the shrimp will move out. Shrimp like a little salt in their water. September seems to be the best month to shrimp. I have not noticed if tides make any difference, but I am sure they do. Shrimping is always better with the water moving. One word of note: St. John's shrimp are more fishy tasting that the Oak Hill or summer white shrimp. It is not a strong fishy taste, but nerveless you can taste it.

Les, The Palatka bridge is pretty obvious if you google map Palatka. There is only one bridge that crosses the St' John's near Palatka. It is route 20. Do you know if they shrimped during the day, or at night?

I was originally planning to have a shrimping trip for the club this September, but my wife came up lame. She has to have a knee replacement the first of October. She was working, but now can't work and is waiting. I will talk with Dewey (mufflerbearing) next week to see if he will sponsor a trip. Earlier there was many who had interest in trying it out.

Chris

At Green Cove Springs, I have seen a red fish caught. Flounder has been caught while cast netting. Fresh water fish can also be caught. I have caught shad while cast netting. Seen a large blue gill caught. So it is really a mixture. The water is brackish. I have seen mullet caught in Lake Monroe. Likewise I caught mullet in the net at Green Cove Springs.

csx bridge up that way is south of palates in satsuma

2. Lynnae

Lynnae Able Bodied Sailor

Great write up! Thanks!