1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping Clinic 1/25/15 Rsvp Here

Discussion in 'Shrimping Clinics - Learn How to Shrimp' started by keep it reel, Oct 30, 2015.

1. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander
    Thread Started By

shrimping trip
    Shrimping Clinic RSVP Here

a quick Member driven learning clinic

70726fb8c3e56c035fc9d27faaa6a41e22170856_r.jpg

Hi guys, we're going to have the shrimping clinic on January 25th. It's a Sunday but we're starting early. The members who would like to attend need to RSVP below in the comments. Please be at Riverbreeze park at 4:00 pm so we can have a quick meet and greet and a few demonstrations and then hit the water.

1. You'll learn how to look for shrimp.

2. how to anchor your boat properly.

3. Setting up your light field

4. Collapsable frame net deployment

5. Dipping shrimp

6. What to do if a barge needs you to move

7. A little River Ettiquette

there will be more to learn so don't be afraid to ask questions

were all learning new techniques and what's best for us as individuals but some of this will help make your trips more successful and fun

what we need to know...

1. Are you on a boat

2. Equipment ie. How many lights and nets

3. How many anchors

4.do you have a vhf radio (the club monitors channel 68) if not we can use cell phones.

5. Do you have a spot light

6 do you have a 5 gallon bucket to measure your catch

7. Bring your camera, love to see the photos in your reports.

This is also a shrimping trip, so you get to use what you learn. Don't forget to post your reports!
    If your in need of dip nets, collapsable frame net or lights please contact capt Ron O'Brien for nets or gator tough for lights. Other members and myself use this equipment and it works great Well worth every penny. The true value hardware in Edgewater also sells gator tough lights if you need to pick up a light or two.
    There will be some members who would like to attend but might not have access to a boat, if any members could help out if they have room on their boat that would be great.

This is what makes us a club, the members make us a family.

Please RSVP below in the comments section

if you have any questions feel free to message me through the site

thanks.

Ken.

Edited 4 times by ntgator Jan 23 15 8:07 AM.

2. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

What an awesome opportunity! Exactly what we need! We're 2.5-3 hr drive away. I'll have to double check with the hubby to make sure we can manage this on a sunday, but for now, count us in!

Keep it reelshrimping trip
    Shrimping Clinic RSVP Here

what we need to know...

1. Are you on a boat YES 20' BAYLINER TROPHY

2. Equipment ie. How many lights and nets 3 LIGHTS, 2 DIP NETS, 1 FRAME NET

3. How many anchors 2

4.do you have a vhf radio (the club monitors channel 68) if not we can use cell phones. YES

5. Do you have a spot light NO

6 do you have a 5 gallon bucket to measure your catch I THINK I CAN FIND ONE!

7. Bring your camera, love to see the photos in your reports. OK

This is also a shrimping trip, so you get to use what you learn. WooHoo.gif

There will be some members who would like to attend but might not have access to a boat, if any members could help out if they have room on their boat that would be great. WE WOULD HAVE ROOM FOR ONE PERSON FOR SURE. WOULD PREFER SOMEONE WITH BOATING EXPERIENCE...SEEING AS WE'RE QUITE NEW AT HANDLING A BOAT, I WOULDN'T BE COMFORTABLE WITH SOMEONE WHO HAD NO MORE EXPERIENCE THAN OURSELVES. smile.gif

Thanks!

Lynnae

3. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Hope you can make it.

4. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Lynnae you'll learn our secrets so you can show off and pull more than your husband does shush-smiley-emoticon.gif

5. Notorious Too

Notorious Too Cabin Boy

Unfortunately we won't be able to make it on a Sunday.........wishing Full Pulls for everyone thumbsup.gif

6. keep it reel

Thread Started By

I would've done it on a Saturday but my work schedule just changed and I work Saturdays now. I haven't worked Saturday's in months. I wouldn't be at Riverbreeze until 9:00 pm at the earliest. If anybody would like to do the demonstrations on a Saturday please step up.
    I'll still come on the 25th as planned for whoever can make it.
    Thanks.
    Ken

7. Russflorida

Russflorida Powder Monkey

i don't want to rsvp cause thats so close to the boat show plus end of month at whaler but i really want 2 make it I found a major issue with the hull on my boat and don't know if it will be water ready in time i am self learning how to fiberglass thank goodness for utube but will still come for the demos

8. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Sorry to hear about your hull. Hope you get it finished. See you there

9. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Originally posted by pat on our old forum

Thanks for doing this, never actually learned from someone who knew what they were doing, just kinda showed up and tried to copy what others were doing. I can make it on the 25th, although I might not stay too late; it's the last day of duck season and I might be a little tired!

1. Are you on a boat - Yes 14' v-hull

2. Equipment ie. How many lights and nets - 2 nets, 4 hand-me-down lights

3. How many anchors - 2

4.do you have a vhf radio (the club monitors channel 68) if not we can use cell phones. - no

5. Do you have a spot light - yes

6 do you have a 5 gallon bucket to measure your catch - yes

7. Bring your camera, love to see the photos in your reports.

10. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Hope to see you there gatortrout

11. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

I won't be able to make this one either. Darn it! I'll be heading back to CT for that weekend for a quick turn around.
    Just picking up a few more things and a dental appointment on the 26th.

12. Nautical Gator

I know a great detest down here is you need one thumbsup.gif

13. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Bogman, when you get back just come on out with us...

14. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

I'll meet you out on the water!

15. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Heheh! His back will probably last longer than mine. I don't care who gets em, just fill the darned bucket!! Lol!
    So I reckon we'll be there unless the weather is really bad. We own our own business and I suggested that he just close Monday and put up a sign saying "Gone Shrimping", or something! Will someone post the night before if it's a go or not? I'd hate to pull that boat 3 hours for nothing!

woohoo! I am soooo excited!! WooHoo.gif

also... 2 probably dumb questions... Do I need a hand held spot light or will a headlight do ok?
    and I noticed in your pictures that a "full pull" is not a full bucket. Do you measure it out by just pouring water in the bucket and mark it?
    Edited 1 time by Lynnae Jan 12 15 1:54 PM.

16. Nautical Gator

When I measured my bucket, Yes I did it by pouring water in the bucket one gallon at a time, and put a mark at every gallon level... five gallons is about one inch from the top of the bucket.

DSC03263.JPG

17. keep it reel

Thread Started By

I have an hour and a half drive myself so I'll be watching the weather closely.
    Hope to see you there.

18. keep it reel

Thread Started By

As for the spotlight it's not required but it will make it easier for you to find the stream. We'll explain why it's so useful but you do not need one

19. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Thanks. We'll pick one up then! If I'm going to drive 3 hours to get some shrimp... a spotlight is peanuts.
    So hubby has already hung a sign at the shop to let everyone know we were gonna be closed... so we'll be there for sure as long as the weather cooperates!

20. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Sounds good. Walmart has a Stanley fat max for around $39 and its rechargeable. There's several reasons for having a spotlight, it won't be wasted.