1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimp Lights

Discussion in 'How to Section… DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by btatar, Dec 14, 2018.

1. btatar

btatar Pirate
    Thread Started By

Hi guys
    I built four shrimp lights. I ordered two strips of the led's from amazon, then I found out I can order just the led's from gator tough. I got two strips of the 700's from Sam. I will test these side by side this winter but if I did it again I would go with the ones from Sam (they were only 15 bucks). You can see how much shorter the 700 series are. I built these like many other people have posted. The differences might be I used 2" polycarbonate, I glued 2"in PVC to this so I could put on end caps. I also found a easy way to center the lights in the tube, I just added electric tape until it filled the polycarbonate. I also made weights not pictured I poured cement in plastic road cones. Will let you know how this works. IMG_20181127_184316403 (1).jpg ks out.

Srfrdave likes this.
  2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

They look like you did a good job on them, neat work as well. I'm interested to hear how well your cone weights work.

3. btatar

btatar Pirate
    Thread Started By

I am too I put in about 8 lbs of cement. I actually left the cone on so it does not scratch the boat and the flat part should help it not roll.

4. Linda C

Linda C Junior Member

Where did you get the clear tubes?

5. Jackie J

Jackie J Newbie

I'm sure there are other threads here that will tell me if I look long enough LOL, but am interested in the details on your build. How much did you end up spending in total materials and how long did it take you to make them? Great looking rigs. I'm just moving back to the area and interested in starting to shrimp soon.....don't laugh...from a kayak! We all have our limits when it comes to budgets LOL Mine keeps me pretty limited right now, so I love a good DIY project to save some Cashe!

6. mak

mak Deckhand

Haven’t tried any myself yet but here are a few threads to check:
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/f...needed-to-build-your-diy-shrimp-lights….3501/
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/shrimping-led-light-strip-choices-for-diyers.681/

7. Jackie J

Jackie J Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the links!