1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shopping Reflex Sight

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Rich M, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Talk to me!

Meopro, eoTech, sightron, etc.

Where should I be looking for my bang stick?

If I go $500 I'll probably go meo.

What's your pref in less cost?

Burris, Vortex. Leupold, etc?

2. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Talked with a couple of guys and ordered one. Lots of stuff to consider.

If anyone wants to buy "gun stuff" most places seem to be short on supply. Not sure if it is a run on stuff or just the lack of shipments from China...

3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I hadn’t been paying attention or looking for a while but was surprised recently when I went out window shopping. Firearm prices are jacked up considerably and centerfire ammo is in shorter supply due to all the unrest and panic buying. It’s only going to get worse as the election draws closer. Accessories are probably a mix of both increased demand and backorders/shortages from the virus impact.
    I’ve got an old Bushnell holo-sight that was supposedly the EOTech with a diff label. No longer available but I like it. Couldn’t bring myself to pay EOTech prices if I were to buy another. I had always gone with Leupold optics but ended up with Vortex scope in the Viper lineup a while back. Purchased a couple more after that I was so impressed. Would put them up against my high-end Leupold scopes any day. They make varying levels of product lines though at different price points so I don’t know how their lower end stuff stacks up. I have been thinking about trying out one of the Vortex reflex sights. I’ve played with the Bushnell FastFire sights before and they seem high quality and compact.
    What did you end up ordering? For a rifle or pistol?

4. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Ended up going w sig romeo5. Will use the low mount. Basically a red dot. For a carbine. Now just waiting for everything to show up.

I like the design of the fast fire for example but have no experience with em. So tough throwing a bunch at one. Been shooting red dots for years and happy with them.

Amazing how things have become scarce and the prices gone up. Saw a $75 bucket of bullets listed for $230 the other day. It was all they had in stock. Go figure.

5. mak

Sig makes great stuff hard to go wrong. im having a hard time just finding reasonably priced primers. I stupidly never stock-up in between the panics and shortages...

6. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Not sure where ammo components get made but they sure sold their quota for the year.

The whole thing about stocking up is that you have to store it.

7. mak

Yeah, and primers is the one component that could go bad if not properly stored.
    I just went by my favorite store up here in the mountains. They always have the best prices and spoiled me for having to now buy my firearms in FL. Anyway, they normally literally have pallets of ammo sitting on the floor to buy in bulk of 500-1000 rounds. Nothing. No 9mm even in boxes of 50... plenty of small boxes of other calibers but nothing in bulk. They typically have literally a couple pallets head-high of AR15s like the DPMS Oracle and S&W M&P. Late last year selling for $450 and $550 all day long. Today, nothing. Not a single black rifle in the whole store. Even the handgun selection was picked over. Unbelievable the panic buying that has been apparently going on the past several months.

8. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

It's pretty interesting how so many folks who never shot a gun have gone out and gotten an AR and enough ammo to use it a lot.

Just hoping they practice enough to become proficient.

This is the first time in my life I can understand a 30+ round magazine.

9. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I had to go online the first of this month to order 1,ooo rounds of 9mm. ammo simply because nobody around here had any.

Rich M likes this.
  10. mak

The few good deals I’ve seen lately for 1000 rounds were sold out by the time I tried to order. Who dd you get yours from? Maybe they still have some...

11. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Palmetto state armory has had some 9mm lately. Was going crazy looking for some 380 ammo and found some in the back of my safe.

I caved when I found some 9mm for 15/box and got some.

Still waiting on the Ruger.

mak likes this.
  12. mak

13. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Cool. I had seen some "wolf" ammo but prefer to shoot brass as opposed to steel so reloading is possible.

14. mak

Yeah, I load my own .45, .40 and most other calibers. When I can get 9 this cheap though I can’t hardly reload that cheap with the components I use. Especially with the current price of primers, etc.

15. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Agree 100%
    Reloading is more for hunting or specialty loads for me. You don't really save anything when you get a decent price on ammo.

How does the steel stuff cycle?

16. mak

I’ve never had a problem with it. Don’t use it a lot. Always try to get brass so I can re-use at some point.

17. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie
    Thread Started By

I remember CCI selling aluminum cased ammo for a while, not sure if they still do. I had used that successfully.