1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shock Leader Vs Leader

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by Srfrdave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate
    Thread Started By

Does anyone know the difference between shock leader and regular leader? I assume Sam does but rather than just asking him directly, I figured everyone could benefit by asking in a post.

Thanks Sam

Nautical Gator likes this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I was under the impression a standard leader was to provide abrasion resistance for 2-3’ for toothy fish, sharp gill plates or around barnacles and oyster beds, etc. Or I guess just a less visible transition from braid to mono or fluorocarbon.
    A shock leader would be several feet longer and much heavier test than the spooled line, with the primary purpose of absorbing that “shock” of a powerful cast with a heavy weight. Otherwise the line could snap.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

the question should be, what is a shack leader?

a shock leader is made to stretch for two reasons.
    first, so the line does not snap.
    second, so the line stretches so that the hook does not rip the fishes mouth causing you to loose the fish.

Shock leaders are often used when fishing for large fish or fish that hit the hook / bait hard then take off fast, this will snap a light or stiff line. a shock leader is designed to take the brunt of the hit and reduce stress on the main line.

when using braid line, braid does not flex, so you should always use a shock leader (mono) that will flex.

JMOP

shrimpmansteve and Srfrdave like this.
  4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate
    Thread Started By

Thanks Mak for your response. My understanding as well was that it (Shock Leader) is 25 - 50 feet of significantly heavier line. Either Mono or Flouro in the 100-250lb range. I wasn’t positive but for trolling purposes I want to make some shock leader out of the 150lb test I have. This is to absorb the initial hit from larger game fish so that 1. You dont have a line break and 2. So the fishes lip or mouth doesn’t rip off, again losing the fish.
    Any other expert advice is welcome and certainly very appreciated.

Dave

5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate
    Thread Started By

Thanks Sam, for the response. I was typing I think as you were.

6. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I had always heard shock leader in reference to surf fishing. I hadn’t thought about it for offshore trolling but makes perfect sense the way Sam explains.

7. Nautical Gator

have you been having a breakage problem?

I have never had any fish break my line on a strike while trolling... Mainly because if you have a conventional trolling reel, it has a lever on it that should be set just light enough so that the weight (drag of line weight) of the line, lure/bait does not pull out any line out.

with that said, if you have Mono or Fluorocarbon out, that in itself is a shock absorber... plus the leader.

I have never trolled with 100-250lb line... bit of an over kill. anything out of ponce you would be safe with anything under 100... I troll with 60 - 80lb and my leaders are from 60 - 80... never had a problem... now if you are trolling for Wahoo, I use a short 2 - 3 ft section of copper and still use a mono leader.

the only fish lost is from, Shark, other fish, teeth, gills, hook ripping out, or knot failure... which is rare. but never from undersized line.

8. Nautical Gator

Also the heaver the line or leader, you will have more fish backing off when they see the line... you will have more hookups with lighter line and leader.

9. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate
    Thread Started By

Agreed, I was thinking of putting some leader between the inline weight and the lure while trolling. I’m wondering how long that needs to be. I was originally thinking 25-30 ft of 150lb mono. This will also act as a shock leader even tho I do have wind on leaders. Just something sitting between that weight and the lure. I dont think 3-5 ft will be enough. The weight is a 38oz with ss cable and heavy snap swivel.

10. Nautical Gator

that will work with wind on... however this would depend on how far back you keep your lures.

just curious, what you would be targeting? because that would make a difference on what you trying to accomplish.

what are you using 150 lb mono for? line or leader?
    I think 150 is to heavy for line and or leader. JMOP

11. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate
    Thread Started By

I use 50lb line. With 100lb wind on. Targeting pelagics, and high speed trolling for Hoo’s

12. Nautical Gator

OK so your wind on will never touch the water? that will work.

13. Nautical Gator

oh if you are targeting Wahoo and Kings, use a stinger.

14. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer

I run 25 to 30 ft of mono off my braid for trolling and bottom fishing, same rig.

Depending, I usually run 50 braid w 50 or 60 leader & 65 braid and 60 leader. Also have a rod w 100 braid and 80 leader.

As stated it is pretty much to add some stretch.

I'm a big believer that your fish poles should flex too. The rods help keep the line tight when the fish shakes its head. Too stiff and no flex, it will more easily come unglued.