1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Sei Lower Unit

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by Bob C, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Bob C

Bob C Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Some of my older posts would give more details on why I have an opinion on SEI lower units, see link. http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/angler-2400cc.8709/

SEI lower units come with a 3 year no questions ask warranty. Some shops will tell you, that's because you WILL need it.

My brand new SEI lower unit was destroyed with 26 hours of use by my buddies last summer when they did not properly secure the anchor. I came free as speed and the chain got wrapped around the prop.

We had originally removed the old SEI unit from the motor, 7 yrs old, as it was leaking. As I had read up them I decided to purchase a new one instead fixing the leaking one. Then a new friend said he could replace the seal kit and the old one would be good. So when the new one was destroyed in went into the garage and the old one with the new seal kit went on the boat.

Well 2 weeks ago that one locked up. Thinking the New destroyed SEI may just need a seal kit took it in. Nope it was locked up, but under warranty - NO FAULT.

Sent off to SEI on Tuesday November 7th. Today I receive a BRAND NEW SEI lower unit. Did not even have to pay shipping coming back to me.

So are SEI lower units as good as originals, most likely not, but at 1/3 the price and a warranty they actually stand behind how can you go wrong?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Wow, I knew they were good, but that is great. Thanks for letting us all know.

3. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

1/3 the original price sounds pretty good to me! I hope everything works out for you Bob, I would really like to get out there offshore with ya again.
    Keep us informed as to your boats progress.

Bob C likes this.
  4. Bob C

Bob C Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

If these winds and waves would ever go away! Hoping to get on the water, inter-coastal, to get some break in hours taken care of. If waves die down then maybe head offshore. But I have a 4 day w/e for Thanksgiving. So I will be out a couple of days weather permitting.

mkyota1 likes this.
  5. Bob C

Bob C Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Boat is ready for a pick up. With the shipping of the lower unit to SEI, taking the lower unit off the engine, testing, checking a second lower unit, boxing it and shipping it off for me. Then putting on the new lower unit and the prop, gear oil, and testing, total out of pocket for this on is only $200. They gave me a break this time for sure. So Saturday will be spent putting some break in hours on the new lower unit. Need to at least get through the first 10 hours so the gear oil can be replaced and ready for actually going offshore fishing T-Day w/e.

mkyota1 and Nautical Gator like this.
  6. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Good luck with the test run. Hopefully she will work good for you.