1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Scent Control Buck 01/07/18

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Bossman, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

The hunting club or lease that I am in allows members to shoot 2 bucks a year at least 6 point or bibber. Personally myself I will try not to shot a 6 point and only shoot larger bucks. This way our deer herd is a little bigger. The season is drawing to a close I was starting to worry a little bit because I had only killed one buck during black powder season. Anyway Sunday afternoon I decided to try to give it a go even thou the wind was going to be blowing from the wrong direction. This one block doesn’t get hunted much because the wind is always blowing in the wrong direction and makes it hard for sent control. On the way to the woods I was talking to Sam and he was telling me how much he had been in front of the key board setting up the new forum. Sam said with all of this cold weather it should have the deer up and moving and I needed to take some pictures of deer while I was sitting in the stand. I got to the area where I park the truck to walk in and sure enough the wind is dead wrong, blowing straight into the block. Now here is part of the story where I let the secret out of the bag. I’m one of the only people that will hunt this block because the wind is always wrong. But it is all about scent control. I use imitation vanilla sprayed all over my body. Yes I’ll smell like a big ole vanilla cookie but hey it works and when I come home and take my clothes off they don’t smell like deer piss. (the wife thanks me for that) I know you’re thinking vanilla? That’s expensive. “Imitation vanilla” at the dollar store it’s a $1 for an 8oz. bottle. Back to the hunt. As I’m walking into the stand I was slipping in and walked up on two does. At 25 yards. The wind was blowing straight off of me towards them. I stood behind a tree at the base of the stand and took pictures of this doe as she raised her nose in the air winding me for 20 minutes. Finally they start easing off and I tight my gun up and climb into the stand. Grant it I could still see bits and pieces of them thru the woods as they were walking off. I had laid my gun down across the stand and at one point I looked at the deer as they walked off and thought to myself, “that looked like a buck”. Then in the same thought they’ll be back because the afternoon is still early. The wind was blowing like crazy and but the squirrels were feeding like crazy. About an hour and a half later I looked to the left and there she stood, the doe that had posed for me earlier. I told her go get your boyfriend and come back and see me. Shortly after that two more does fed into the open and was really settled. I noticed them looking back over their shoulder a good bit and thought to myself oh this could be good. Then all of a sudden they started walking into me at about 15 yards and I’m thinking ok let me get Sam’s pictures. As I’m taking a picture of the does I notice this nice buck walk into the open. At this point picture taking gets put on hold and I have to fumble with a phone to get it in my pocket and my gun in my hand. The buck had walked into the same spot that the doe was at when she was winding me earlier. I made the 20 yard shot and as he ran off I knew that he was hurt bad. I didn’t wait any because I knew I had good shot placement. I walked to the spot that I shot him and blood was everywhere. He did run about 100 yards with a heart shot. Once again with proper scent control it can be done. The vanilla thing might be hard to believe but I’m a firm believer. I just tell everyone that I hunt with that I like cookies.
    Waiting.jpg Winding.jpg Nice Buck.jpg

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Sweet, glad the does and bucks were moving with this cold spell... Great job Bossman on a nice BUCK) Thumbsup1:::1

WildGameFeast.jpeg

3. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Treasure Hunter

Nice. What area is your lease.

4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Rigger

Great informative post. Love the pictures. Where is your hunt club?

5. Bossman

Thread Started By

Levyville, it is in Levy county between Bronson and Chiefland.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. btatar

btatar Pirate

Nice I use nose jammer worked great this year but your way is cheaper.

7. Nautical Gator

What did you get, and where were you hunting?

8. btatar

btatar Pirate

Got two doe and a small buck this year. Upstate NY Rochester area.

9. Nautical Gator

I'm a bit curious as to why you have not posted a hunting report?

10. btatar

btatar Pirate

Should I share NY hunts? If so I will next year for sure.

11. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Treasure Hunter

Congratulations on the late season buck.

Bossman likes this.
  12. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman Recruit

Great post and results, congratulations.

Bossman likes this.
  13. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Great pics and report. And congrats on the nice buck. That vanilla trick is a good one. You smell great, the deer don't smell you and it keeps the bugs away to boot!

Bossman likes this.
  14. hoyt79

hoyt79 Pirate

Great buck! I definitely watch my scent but I always hunt the wind just to be sure.

Bossman likes this.
  15. Bossman

Thread Started By

Same here but this block is land locked and 90% of the time there is a North wind and it's totally wrong. That's why that block produces some nice bucks.

16. good buck lot of difference between s fl and n fl deer

Bossman likes this.
  17. FLJNR

FLJNR Pirate

Wow that's a great little trick thanks for sharing. And what a great afternoon of hunting!! Congrats!

Bossman likes this.
  18. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Powder Monkey

Nice buck! Late in the season sometimes you just gotta hunt it and hope for the best. Never heard of vanilla, I bet it makes them curious when they smell it. I'd be hungry for cookies when I got home!

Bossman likes this.
  19. Bossman

Thread Started By

You would be surprised how curious it does make them. This was 15' 20171030_184857.jpg

20. George Buck

George Buck Treasure Hunter

Very nice buck. I have never heard of the vanilla trick, I will have to try it this coming deer season.