1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Scalloping Steinhatchee

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Joseph Underwood, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey
    Thread Started By

Was looking for some information on scalloping Steinhatchee. With work schedule be all screwed up for the summer . I am having to change plans. I was going to be heading over to Crystal River for the opening week but now cant because of work . I am going to try Steinhatchee since it opens up Mid June . Has anyone scallop there before ? I'm am bringing boat but if at all possible to go on kayak and paddle board. It sure would make thing easier for traveling there and back . Any information be awesome thank you.

2. GTURN

GTURN Junior Member

Wish i could help. I have never been over but looking forward to trying this year too. I am interested in answer as well.

3. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I haven't been out of Steinhatchee in a long time only because it is 2 1/2 hours for me and Crystal River is 45 minutes. But I do know that they have really good luck up there most of the time and limit out quickly. Some folks go out of Steinhatchee and others go out of Horseshoe. I know that a lot of people do good down south around Pepperfish You might look at launching fron Rock Creek or Horseshoe. Steinhatchee if I remember correctly you have to go north just a mile or two. I don't know about a paddle board, or a kayak like I said I haven't in a long time up there.

4. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I have never been Scalloping but wwould like to try it out!
    I know it would be lots of fun! Tasty too!

5. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Scalloping is a great time on the water, especially with friends or family.

6. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey
    Thread Started By

Thanks for the info Bossman

7. wantfish

wantfish Pirate

Thanks for the info. I only know about crysriver but Steinhatchee may be worth a shot also. I may have the same issue with work schedule

8. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Carpenter

I haven't scalloped out of Steinhatchee but have gone out of Keaton Beach about 15 miles to the north several times. I think it's a pretty good haul from the ramps in Steinhatchee out the river to open water so would probably be a long day in kayaks/paddle board. With a boat, i know you can head out and go north and there is lots of grass with scallops. I've been as far south as Little Grass Island out of Keaton Beach and we have always done well when we head up that way. Hope you have a safe and productive trip!!

mak likes this.
  9. NateHawg

NateHawg Pirate

I normally go out of Crystal River, but have been out of Steinhatchee a handful of times also. Shorter run out to the grounds, but still at least a couple of miles either way. Can make for a long haul on a paddle board or kayak, especially if weather rolls in. I’d lean towards bringing the boat, even if just to have more room for your gear/cooler/hopefully limit of scallops.

mak likes this.