1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Scalloping Keaton Beach 6/24/2017

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Dock Commander, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Rigger
    Thread Started By

came up to Keaton Beach area to visit my wife's uncle and get a couple of days of scalloping in.

Launched around 8:30 before the ramp was too busy and had a nice day on the water. Got our 10 gallon limit! Lots of smaller ones but last I checked they still taste like scallops.

We're going to head out again tomorrow for a few hours before we head home but we are off to a good start this season!

IMG_0425.JPG

image.jpg

Fisher3, MyMy86, Goggle Eye and 2 others like this.
  2. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Nice going! Hopefully a great season. Headed Crystal River mid July.

3. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Nice haul! I've got a couple of quick questions, how long did it take you to get a limit and what was you method of cleaning? I prefer the spoon on the boat method and have it all over by the time I make landfall.

4. Bossman

Hope to see you there, if I can ever get my boat back from the shop. I've got a pile of people that are wanting me to carry them but I need my boat.

lobsterman likes this.
  5. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

Nice haul, I heard they were in pretty thick but still haven't seen an official report from FFWC on they're counts

6. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

Congrats, thanks for sharing. I was wondering where you were lately. Great haul!

7. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

Thanks for the report and pictures! Looks like you got a couple bags of good eats and like you had some nice weather.

8. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

I've heard that Keaton Beach is a great place to go. Not as busy as Steinhatchee or Crystal River...is that true? You really made a nice haul, congrats.

9. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Nice catch and pics...TFTR...Enjoy. :eatin pizza:

10. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Rigger
    Thread Started By

We hit the water early to beat the rush at the ramp but didn't start seeing scallops until 9:30-10am. We had our 10 gallons by 4 pm. Had to move a few times. We clean them with shucking knives. Did some on the water but finished up at my wife's uncles after a cold beer and pizza!

Bossman likes this.
  11. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Rigger
    Thread Started By

Work has gottten really busy for me the last few months so haven't had much free time but making time to go scalloping is a MUST!!

Bossman and paleoman like this.
  12. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Cabin Boy

Great report. Never tried for scallops yet.

13. Bossman

Greg you and T need to try it you'll have a blast. Lot of folks here will let you know whatcha need. let me know.

14. Michael Walker

Michael Walker Master Gunner

I love scalloping, did it last July out of the Crystal River area, we used the spoon technique, but my buddy heard that after you get them open, use a wet/dry vac to suck out all the guts, and that'll leave the meat easier to pop off into your pot.

15. Michael Walker

Michael Walker Master Gunner

looks like you are fairly close to land there, can the area be reached reasonably in a kayak?

16. Bossman

I've never used the shop vac method simply because 1.You have to have electric. 2. You have one hell of a mess to clean out the vac. after you get them cleaned 3.you have to wait and clean them till you get back to land. I personally just like to be finished once us make land fall.

Michael Walker likes this.
  17. Pj s hotrod

Pj s hotrod Cabin Boy

Looks like you guys had a great day congrats

18. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Nice limit of Scallops

upload_2017-7-18_7-0-6.jpeg