1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Scalloping 6/30/16 Crystal River

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by keep it reel, Jul 2, 2016.

1. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander
    Thread Started By

finally made it out at about 5:00 pm after the rain and wind pushed through. 20 minute boat ride and we tossed the anchor. Swam around for a 1/2 an hour and pulled up for a new spot. Moved the boat a couple of hundred yards and we were on them!!
    Limited out with 8 gallons by 7:00 pm.
    Tim did well being a newbie to scalloping, you'd a thought he's been doing it for years.
    Ola when she got her mask situated brought back a half bag, not bad for her first time out.
    I filled my bag and stuffed a few in my pockets on the way back to the boat.
    Great way to have some fun.
    It was very low tide and it was still going out when we started back to ft island boat ramp.
    Well what usually takes 20 to 30 minutes took 2 1/2 hours due to the lack of water under the boat.
    Had to idle all the way back with the jack plate all the way up and the motor tilted.
    I've never seen it so shallow and I've never got stuck before which is exactly what happened a 1/4 mile from the boat ramp...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Someone left a skeg and the skeg guard on one of the spots Tim and I had to push from.
    Watch the tides if your planning to go scalloping

image.jpeg

2. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

Good times....great learning experiences shared. Thanks for the report. Bet those scallops taste GOOD !!!!!!!!!

3. wow That's a long haul in shallow water.

4. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander
    Thread Started By

The scallops are delicious and its ute is a long slow ride

5. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Treasure Hunter

It may be an old post, the information was very informative. I fish out of Crystal River all the time and yup, near shore is a minefield and Ozello is worse (but productive). I've welded my skeg a few times and need to do it again. I was thinking about the heavy stainless covers but was worried about losing speed and also breaking the whole skeg off instead of just a piece.

If you put in at the end of Fort Island Trail, you'll damn near need an airboat to get back in on a super low tide.

6. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

Thanks for the report; it was an interesting read!I haven't tried Scalloping yet but would like to give it a try!