1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

1. thegoschman

thegoschman Newbie
    Fishing Chatter

New to all this so we're not sure about what we're doing....We recently picked up a flea rake and went out last weekend to Cocoa Beach. In a couple hours we had quite a few sand fleas.
    Today, we went to the same beach around 5-6 pm and walked up and down the beach without seeing a single indication that the fleas were there. The birds were even sparse. I pulled a bunch of sand but caught only 1 flea in about an hour of beach walking!
    I don't remember the time of day for our first trip. I think is was close but a bit earlier.
    A storm had come and gone today when we arrived at Cocoa.
    My question(s) are...
    Could the storm have had an effect?
    Do tides or time of day make a difference?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

THX Gordon

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

In for a response from someone who has an answer.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

when you go raking, pay attention to the tide. high low, incoming, outgoing...
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/august-7.15901/#post-126333

mak likes this.
  4. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Master Gunner

I find on our beach that tide is important. Also finding the soft sand fleas prefer helps.

5. Aluminati

Aluminati Treasure Hunter

Sand Fleas are most numerous when you dont need any or when you forgot your rake.:p

6. Rich M

Rich M Matey

Maybe you caught them all?

Last week I was getting them by hand a bit south of where you were. They were everywhere, a rake would have been too easy but if decent fish were biting, would have saved a lot of time. We caught/kept/used - 3 quarts in freezer and used a quart or two fishing.

Anyway - had a tough time getting any when I took my BIL fishing - of course when you have someone else there. Ended up getting a dozen or 15 by digging around the places where the sand looked rough. The fleas were down where the waves were curling - tide was higher than earlier.

Ensign likes this.
  7. Ensign

Ensign Newbie

Most likely that's what happened