1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Red Snapper And A Surprise! 8-17-18

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports (R)' started by Nocatfish, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy
    Fishing Report By

Supposed to go out Friday morning with 4 on board, but 2 of the guys bailed out on us Thursday, so I told my buddy Robbie, "let's try going out Friday afternoon and beat the crowds".
    Left Swoopes at 2pm. An incoming angler gave us 2 dozen big Pogies to fish with...what a nice guy. He also showed us 2 big ARS that he caught using the Menhaden on site 5.
    Seas out of the inlet were 2-3 out of the SE and pretty sloppy with a strong breeze blowing in the same direction. Of course, our destination, site 8 was in the same direction.
    It was a slow crawl, but we got there in about 50 mins. This is the same spot where my wife and I did very well on ARS and other critters just 3 days earlier.
    Dropped anchor and started fishing around 3pm. Nothing but grunts and one small Mango for the first 4 hours. Very, very frustrating. Finally around 7 PM, Robbie pull up a nice 10lber on a butterflied grunt, right after that I got a 23" ARS on one of the Pogies. This was the first fish I had caught on live bait in the 4 hours we had been there.
    After no more bites in the next 20 minutes we got ready to go. Just as I was reaching for my live bait rod to reel it in, it got slammed hard. The fish fought like hell...I was thinking it was a big shark at first, but about halfway off the bottom it gave up. Once I got a first look at it boatside, I couldn't believe my eyes....38" approx 20lb Snook. By far the largest I have ever seen in person. After a measurement and a couple quick picks we let her go. Wow!
    Anyway, that fish made my day.
    We got back to the ramp just as it was getting dark. I was going to go back out Sunday, but have now decided against it. Too many people and too much craziness out there.
    Thanks for reading. 20180817_185310.jpg 20180817_183558.jpg 20180817_183551.jpg

2. Stephen Havel

Stephen Havel Buccaneer

Awesome catch and report! Don't think I've heard snook being caught out that far.

3. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Very cool. You dont see that every day. Monster. Good you guys found a few more ARS for the freezer. I am going to sitting out this sunday as well due to a long work week coupled with still hurting from last weekend. I will not miss the crowd out there either. I am happy to get my 1 good one for the season.

4. Tele Caster

Tele Caster Treasure Hunter

Now that’s a nice fish for sure!!

5. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

Thanks for taking the time to make a great report. Nice fish!

6. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey

Have caught big snook out of Sebastian inlet before on the high bar in 80 ft . Couldn't believe. Cool catch good times

7. livefortoday

livefortoday Newbie

That is a nice fish but I don’t have a snook permit so I would have had to let it go.

8. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Awesome report and Snook Thumbsup1:::1

Great Report""1

Ditto

I second that LOL

mkyota1 likes this.
  9. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy
    Fishing Report By

Actually Livefortoday, Snook are out of season....I think it opens on September 1st. And that fish was way over slot...28-32". Plus like you said, you need a permit. So it's 3 strikes I'm out...lol.

10. Sweep49

Sweep49 Pirate in the making

Nice catch, thanks for the report.

11. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Great report. Awesome getting that big snook. Thanks for sharing.

12. George No Clue

George No Clue Cabin Boy

Good going - nice snook!

13. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Nice job on the Snook, for sure something you don't see all of the time. TFTR

14. alex23

alex23 Pirate

Wow that’s a nice snook! I guess you never know what you’ll catch out there!

15. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Yes that is a surprise. Not the usual catch out there.

16. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

I've seen reports of divers seeing snook on offshore structure but never hear of anyone getting any on rod & reel. I think you are the first one! Awesome!

17. William OBrien

William OBrien Cabin Boy

What a snook!! Didn't know they were out that far and down there.

18. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

Great report, congrats on the surprise snook!

19. aharp61

aharp61 Deckhand

Nice snook thanks for the report!

20. neal gamby

neal gamby Pirate

Thanks for the report.