1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Poor Mans Lobster

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by bogman102, Mar 24, 2021.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

I just got this recipe off Youtube. The end product sounds like what NotoriusToo and kayak are after from Sams Sheepshead preparation thread. Sounds good! They say the combination of sugar, lemon and boiling firms up the flesh! When done dredge the fish in butter!

Poor Mans Lobster from youtube

1 cup sugar

1 lemon sliced

4 cups Water**

Pinch salt

In a pot of water add sugar and lemon heat till sugar dissolves in water then

Add any white fish 1” cubes Halibut, cod etc****

When fish floats to surface it’s done. Supposed to change consistency of fish!

**Instead of sugar and water you can use 7UP or Sprite!

**** There was a very close recipe to this one but instead of fish they used Langostino tails that had been dredged in a pesto sauce.

So there a few variations now on this recipe including water with or without Old Bay. They all sound good!

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Have you tried it yet?

3. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

This guy uses 7up. Cooking starts at 9:50

4. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

I have not tried this yet but I am anxious!
    This would probably work well with Monkfish! They are a dense fish.

5. mak

Probably so. I’m going to have to find some Sheep one of these days to try it.

bogman102 likes this.
  6. duffy

duffy Cabin Boy

I have tried it and made a cold salad. It is amazing. We did it with sheephead

mak likes this.
  7. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Scallywag

Sounds very good. Will have to try it

8. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

I tried this recipe last night with some frozen Amberjack I had in the freezer too long.
    16 ounces of Sprite, 1/2 a lemon and a tsp of salt. Boiled it up and the fish never really floated.
    Dipped in butter and the taste was good. Not Lobster but it did remind you of Lobster probably due to the butter. The Sprite mix does firm up the fish but Amberjack is rather dense already.
    I later tried some of the fish with butter and seafood spice*; it tasted even better! Yes, I will try it again!

*Seafood spice: I used to be able to find McCormick "Chesapeake Bay Seafood Seasoning" and liked it a lot! A light sprinkle on a filet of fish tasted great! I could no longer find it anywhere and a search showed it to be discontinued! That's too bad. I was in a Sav A Lot store the other day and saw a tin of "Seafood Spice" by Marcum. The tin color reminded me of the old McCormick product; I bought it. It is similar to the McCormick product but not quite as good... but close enough!
    Another product I used to buy regularly was Kraft Shake & Bake for fish. I used to buy it often but then it disappeard! I called Kraft to ask them and their response was "our market analysis showed it was not profitable"! That is too bad and I miss it! It was great with a Bluefish filet cut thin and then into strips that I would bake with the oven door open to dry out the filet pieces a bit. They would be like jerky that you could put in your pocket and eat while fishing!

9. mak

Thanks for reporting back on the recipe. Thumbsup1:::1 Sounds like it’s worth a try with the right fish one of these days.
    We have used the shake and bake in the past. I’m not sure I saw much of a difference from using any standard fish coating and then baking on high heat. Actually with the air fryer craze the last few years I’m not sure I can tell much of a difference using our air fryer vs baking in the oven... at least it heats up quicker and doesn’t heat-up the kitchen in the process.
    You have me wondering if I should try making some Jack Jerky in my smoker next time I catch a couple ;)

10. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

Jack Jerky.......kind of catchy sounding!
    I used to catch a lot of Bluefish in CT, we called them Taylor Blues about 2 pounds each.
    They tasted great! The big ones, to 25 pounds each, were very fishy tasting even after bleeding and cutting out the blood line! The big ones smoked were OK. The smaller ones with the Shake & Bake were great! The Shake & Bake had lemon in it!
    I like lemon on all fish I eat.
    We had a lot of Porgies off CT also. In the fall I would catch a bunch and smoke their filets to eat all winter!

11. travshrimper

travshrimper Newbie

We would cook this dish in Alaska but typically with Northern Pike and 7 up , but any fish or lemon soda will do really . Even good with salmon !

12. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

This sounds like something I may have to try.