1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Ponce Offshore 4/19/20.

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports (R)' started by mkyota1, Apr 19, 2020.

1. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master
    Fishing Report By

Scott and I headed out from dunlawton a little before 7am. The parking lot was almost full already. We clear the inlet to calm seas. Ran out about 20 miles to natural bottom. We hook up and loose a really nice king right at the boat. Close to 30#. Probably the biggest one we would have ever got out there.

The bite was pretty slow for us most of the day. We ended up with a 16.5" lane, 16.5" mangrove, a few barely legal vermillions and triggers that were released. Lots of red snapper. We used squid, sardines, and grunt chunks for bait.

Wind and surf picked up at noon as they forecast and we started working our way back in by 3 hitting a few spots along the way. Thankfully the boat made it's second full trip since getting it back together with no issues. Can't wait till next time! 20200419_073749_HDR.jpg 20200419_142825.jpg 20200419_134835_HDR.jpg 20200419_122618(2).jpg 20200419_131219-1.jpg

311sarge and Nautical Gator like this.
  2. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Nice trip out, beats sitting at home by any stretch. Glad you you got some good eaters.

mkyota1 likes this.
  3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Another great trip but you should stop harassing those endangered Red Snapper.
    Thumbsup1:::1

mkyota1 likes this.
  4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

Nice ARS. And report. Out and back safely equals a great trip

mkyota1 likes this.
  5. adallas

adallas Blackbeard

What is your rig of choice for dead or cutbait? Chicken, fishfinder or Knocker? Do you drift or anchor?

6. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master
    Fishing Report By

Most of the time I use a fishfinder style rig using a 5-8oz egg sinker. 7-8' of 50# floro leader and a 5/0 circle for most stuff. When going after big red snapper I will beef up the leader and hooks. If we run into vermillion or triggers I will rig up a two or three hook chicken rig with 2/0 or 3/0 hooks.

I have a minn kota gps trolling motor that holds us over a spot. I love it. 15 seconds to deploy or "pull anchor". I don't do any drift fishing but I know it can be benificial to cover a larger area.

7. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master
    Fishing Report By

I know I feel bad if there is as few of them as they say I surely have caught every single one at least three or four times. Lol. They are probably getting tired of it.

mak likes this.
  8. adallas

adallas Blackbeard

Thanks for the info. Going for Mahi tomorrow. I think it will be calm enough to run deep. Heard any reports? On the 15’ leader so I guess you have to hand line the last few feet. Is it tough to feel the bite with that long of a leader?

9. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master
    Fishing Report By

Good luck! I have not heard many reports. I saw a decent number of flying fish around yesterday.

I use 7-8' leaders most of the time. The longer ones always seem to tangle on me and get hung up more as I usually keep the weight on the bottom. Just personal preference though. I know lots of people love the longer leaders.

10. adallas

adallas Blackbeard

I saw some of the smallest flying fish I’ve ever seen yesterday

11. Nice job! Glad to hear the boats is running great, the fish don’t stand a chance!

mkyota1 likes this.
  12. gatorx07

gatorx07 Pirate

Great Lane snapper. those are delicious!

mkyota1 likes this.
  13. JBF

JBF Powder Monkey

Ha ha ha, he said nice arse

mkyota1 likes this.
  14. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Mike I think that you and Scott use the same pictures on every report that you write. Because every time when you come back from a fishing trip you have those big fish! Dang it man, Good job I think you have em figured out. Congrats on another fine fishing trip!
    Misbite1::1GGOTF::9

mkyota1 likes this.
  15. stinkyskater88

stinkyskater88 Cabin Boy

Looks like a fun day on the water! And a safe one as well.

mkyota1 likes this.
  16. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Cabin Boy

Great report. Sweat trolling motor setup

17. Fcsoccer11

Fcsoccer11 Pirate

Nice work, gotta love the trolling motor vs pulling anchor by hand.

mkyota1 likes this.
  18. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master
    Fishing Report By

For sure. Worth every penny it cost.