1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Penn Spinfisher V Cleaning

Discussion in 'How to Section… DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by mak, Jan 25, 2019.

1. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Probably should have a taken a photo or two before disassembly...
    Less than a year old and one of my lightly used Penn Spinfisher V reels needed an overhaul. It’s never been splashed or dunked, but by the third or fourth time I used it I noticed it was extremely stiff at the start of each fishing trip. After some cranking it would loosen-up and be ok. I’ve got a matching one I fish along with it and it’s not had the same problem. Last couple trips it had gotten so stiff I could barely crank the handle...
    So I get it apart and see that where the main gear comes in contact with the pinion gear it’s all discolored and black... All the other grease in the reel is clean and the normal Penn blue. Discolored grease is all hard and gritty. Not sure what happened but assume it must have had some contamination when assembled in the factory. Gears don’t look worn but the pinion gear teeth are discolored black where they contact the main gear... Maybe that gold color is a tungsten carbide coating that failed and came off.
    Anyway, got it all back together after the usual assemble, take apart to install missed piece, reassemble, take part to install extra screw, etc, etc.
    I made the mistake of jumping the gun last year when we moved down here and bought quite a few new Penn Spinfishers in various sizes based on previous experience from many years ago. Should have tried out one or two for a while first before committing to several. While I’m not so unhappy I’m going to go out and replace them, I don’t expect I’ll buy more after these wear out. They definitely are not super smooth and precisely fitted reels like some of my older freshwater reels. If I was working a plastic worm or bouncing a jig across the bottom I would consider them unfishable... Also the lack of an anti-reverse switch is annoying.
    Think I may try a Daiwa BG next time.
    204146AA-52E6-4B4A-8E0A-358D03F2AAF0.jpeg

2. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Matey

I have two SVs I wash, dry with compressed air and oil them after every trip. Never had a problem with them. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

3. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Yeah, I always rinse and dry mine after each outing. This one obviously had issues from the factory. Hopefully it’s good to go now. They seem like good heavy duty reels and have a great drag. Just not a silky smooth rotation.

4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Carpenter

Let penn know your feelings.

5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

6. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

That stinks. I think that is not the norm for those though with that little use. I know several people with them with positive opinions. I have one as a loaner reel on the boat and it has been soaked multiple times with a saltwater shower riding in the rear rodholder in the boat when offshore on rougher days. Good luck on the repairs.

7. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

I will add that I do like my diawa bg reels better than the spinfisher though. I have a 5000 and a 8000. Smooth as butter.

8. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

9. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

If they were 2500 size I would buy a couple at that price. I had played with some of the BGs a while back in a store and they were so much smoother than my Penns. Almost bought a couple last time eBay sent me a 20% coupon. eBay seller I had purchased from in the past had them and I could have ordered two for $135 delivered. I sure don’t need any more reels, and the Penns aren’t bad for the style fishing they are being used for, but it is tempting.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

mkyota1 likes this.
  10. Nautical Gator

11. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

It does look like really slow shipping for the good price. I really like them for the money.

That really sucks Sam. Toasty reals are not good. Lol.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  12. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

If you need 3000s then that is a tough deal to beat.
    I wish the manufacturers would get their number sizes standardized so a 3000 Penn was the same size as a 3000 Daiwa, etc.

13. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

Good point for someone that has never handled both. The diawas do run large for their number.

14. Nautical Gator

mkyota1 likes this.
  15. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Yeah, I looked earlier at the 2500. $241.33. (But it is free shipping)
    Ha! I think I’ll pass on that dealer.
    The 3000 size seems to be the one with the really good price going.

16. Nautical Gator

its in my cart @ $69.00

upload_2019-1-28_6-5-30.png

17. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Weird. I figured it out. I was selecting “1 unit” in the size field. When it tried “unit” I got the price you saw.
    Found and ordered a new one on E-Bay last night for $65 delivered. No self control... just submitted an order for another.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  18. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Carpenter

Good deal. Unfortunately I haven’t fished enough lately to justify what I currently own:(