1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Oysters In Edgewater.

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Bert, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Bert

Bert Pirate
    Thread Started By

Went out the day before yesterday and yesterday after the storm I got four bushels in a little over four hours all total. 2 bushels each day. There are some pretty good-sized ones in there as well. Looks like they're making a comeback. I've seen a lot of new seed oysters all over the place. Hopefully we can have a couple of years with no Brown tide. Sorry no pics they are already in a cooler with ice all over them.

Greenedog and bogman102 like this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I brought in two yesterday. One hit my jig and another was trying to get my live shrimp.Smiley Laughing1::1
    LOL, actually the only edibles I caught yesterday... Should have just gone straight from the bait shop to clean and fry the shrimp I picked up...
    Thanks for the report. Glad you loaded up.

3. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I like to hear that the oysters are making a come back and are starting to get some size to them. As long as you can keep some clean water on them you should continue to produce lots of new seeds and oyster beds. And before long you'll be back to oystering the way folks use to back in the old days.
    oyster boat.jpg OYSTERTONGS_dwh.jpg

bogman102 likes this.
  4. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Glad to hear you found the Oysters and got a bunch!
    Bossman, Are those your tongs and do you you use them in the Lagoon?

5. Bert

Bert Pirate
    Thread Started By

I have had many days like that Thinking I should just eat the shrimp :p

6. Bert

Bert Pirate
    Thread Started By

Bossman, I am doing it like they did in the old days, by hand and wading just like my Father taught me. I know legal size is 3 inches but I just cant bring my self to take them that small. Yes we need more clean water or I should say pollution free water. It breaks my heart to see what is happening on the West coast and down towards Indian River County (where I was born and raised) and further South.

7. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate

I love that we can get our own oysters in Central Florida. I have not been since I was a child, but looking forward to it.