1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Out Of State Report For Lake Erie

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing Reports' started by Mboat, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Have been out of the Florida state for so long , but have not forgotten you all.

Lake Erie has been producing some quality Walleye this season .
    With just last week most boats limiting out working 15 to 16 miles north of the PA / OH state line
    Trolling cranks and worm harnesses has put some 6 to 8 lb fish in the box for our boat.
    Now that water temps are beginning to fall into the low 60's the Steelhead are showing up in all the familiar places. A beautiful fish , that is exciting to catch with jumps and runs, just not the best of eating compared to the Lake Erie Yellow Perch that are beginning to mass on to the Zebra shell bars just off the coast.
    The fall rush is on and if the weather would just cooperate a bit longer, we may get some fish in the freezer.
    Plans are to run the boat as long as possible , then maybe return to our favorite spot down on the coast of Florida.
    You people stay warm and safe.
    Best regards
    Mike M

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Sounds like some more good fishing in your near future until it gets too cold and you head South. I haven’t caught a Walleye or Perch in ages. thanks for the report.

3. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Any time mak . The Virus thing has many of us still off work, so runnin the boat and takn customers out three or four days a week has been the new norm. Doesn't pay all that good, but we're eatin pretty well.
    It has been a long time since I have last been on line and checked in with the site or any one else for that matter. Just not enough time in the day it seems. Got the " are you still alive " email from the kids and it has progressed from there.
    I will make an attempt to check in a bit more often.

Hope things are good down there for everyone, and the fish are plentiful for all.
    Have had a couple of light frosts up here , and we all know what comes next... the S word.
    Would rather be swingin on the hook at Sebastian inlet, but soon enough I keep tellin myself,,, soon enough.
    Take care
    Mike m

4. mak

I just came back to our place in the N GA mountains. Supposed to get down to 40 deg the next couple nights. Perfect start to my bow hunting season. Could have started a few weeks ago but it’s so warm in early Sept that I only like going out in the morning before it warms up so much I sweat...
    Just hung one of my climbers. Tons of white oak acorns out this year...

5. George Buck

George Buck Cabin Boy

Nice to see a Lake Erie report. I lived in Western NY for six years and fished the lake a lot.

6. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Thanks George . Nice to hear from some one who knows those waters.
    We sometimes walk the beach up there in Barcelona Harbor / Westfield area lookin for Sea Glass from the old Welches Bottling plant when things are too blown out to run the boat.
    This year Erie was pretty good to us as far as the Walleye. .
    Very thankful for a Lot of good trips with customers and old friends from past years.
    Good weather along with Being off work longer than usual, provided more time to chase fish and run the boat.
    Didn't get much done around the house, but the freezer's stocked up.
    Log shows over 300 made it in the box for the year. Most of them from the trenches off the PA / Ohio border. Some from further West. Couple trips they were close enough to the beach to make it back in time for dinner. A few nice Steel Head in the mix as well.
    The lake has already flipped.
    She's just about ready to freeze over with this next cold spell. Took the boat out today just to run it.
    One of those just because I could moments.
    Surface temps are down in the thirties. Skim ice in the protected areas a couple mornings ago. It's that time.
    Maybe in couple weeks I'll have to drag the ice shanty out and get it ready.
    Good to hear from ya.

mak likes this.
  7. mak

I’ll be anxious to hear some of those ice fishing reports and hopefully see some pics
    It’s been a long time since I was a kid in Ohio and got to do some Erie walleye fishing.

8. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

I was kind of hopin to be hearing about it from a sunny beach somewhere on the East coast of FL my self !
    Fingers crossed , but draggin the shanty out any how , just in case.

9. George Buck

George Buck Cabin Boy

Is the eastern basin of Erie frozen yet? I got stuck in a Lake Effect blizzard out on Erie once when the wind shifted to the west and the lake out of Ohio was still open. My fishing partner was with me and we were a mile out on a reef. I saw the snow coming and said to him we had to head in. I pointed my self and the ice sled towards shore where we were parked, took a compass reading, put my partner in front of me by ten feet and off we went. Half way in there was no visibility, only the compass to go by ( I was an FO in Vietnam so pretty good with a compass), but we hit the beach within a few hundred yards of the parking area. Over 50 guys got lost on the ice and were there overnight. Then the wind shifted northeast and a huge ice pack broke off and they were stranded. In the morning they were rescued by helicopter but the equipment was left on the ice. Within a week the ice pack joined the main ice and people got there sleds, ATVs, fishing equipment, etc. back again.
    Lake Erie in the winter is probably the most dicey ice destination in North America.

Mboat and mak like this.
  10. mak

Wow, that’s quite a story. Would have been a scary situation. I got to fish Erie a handful of times as a kid before we moved from Ohio to Georgia. Always wanted to go ice fishing there but never got a chance. Had some friends who would go with their dads and I was so jealous. Nobody in my family other than my grandfather were fishermen and he had already moved out of state. I was lucky to get them to take me fishing during good weather ;)

11. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

No , She's' not froze up yet .
    Water temp 35 degrees this morning waves 5 to 9 ft with a few 11 ft expected by late tonight. Winds outa the W / NW . Air temp high 30s
    Might calm down some over the weekend.
    We get a tease with some bay ice on the colder nights , then the waves just grind everything into a mess.
    When that crushed stuff does freeze , its like drilling thru concrete , and walkin down a gravel road.

Some of the local lakes and ponds have some new ice , but nothing thick enough to be out on.
    At least not thick enough for my liking. I have gone thru twice in my short life.
    Once making pole sets for beaver , and once a couple years ago in Feb while dragging my ice shanty home on a beautiful sunny day.
    Not my most favorite experiences to remember.
    That 2 or 3 mile walk to the truck completely soaked in freezing air temps is just about as exciting as the almost drowning part.

Lot of guys will fish that 4 to 6 inch new ice. No thanks . 12 inches or better and a couple nights of good wind to blow the snow off works for me.

George is 100% correct on his recount of that event.
    I remember when what he is talking about happened up here. It has also happened more than once on Erie,
    if there is any open water, any place , it can snow so hard that you had better have your head on straight and know what your doin.
    Erie has not frozen over completely in quite some time.

Ive been out on Erie 8 or 9 miles perchin in late September and had enough snow in the boat that the kids were throwin it at each other.
    Erie is a wonderful fishery , but she is a deadly body of water.

Thanks for putting that in George. Enjoyed it.
    Doubt that we will get good ice up there unless Feb. hits the minus marks for temp.
    May hit a couple local mud puddles next week if it stays in the 20s. Hard to tell just yet.

12. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

9 Degrees this morning at sunrise. No wind .

George , we just may be drillin holes soon if this keeps up.

13. Rich M

Rich M Scallywag

My BIL will fish 4 inches of ice but small ponds. I like at least 6-8 before heading out.

The boys I used to ice fish with have really stepped it up a notch - they are getting more bass, crappie, trout, and even blue gills where before all we'd get is perch, pickerel and the occasional bass. Not sure if they use fish finders or if it is just playing the game diff. Trout are pretty much setting up in an open area with shiner a foot or two down.

Down here - we had slush at MINWR while duck hunting a few years back. Sitting there watching the sun rise and the water started looking funny - reach down and pulled up a hand of slush. LOL!

I've watched bays of saltwater freeze on the CT/RI line while duck hunting a couple times right about first light, go from light breeze to dead calm to 2-3 inches of ice almost instantly - was cold enough, the wind was just keeping the ice away. Those years we saw more seals and sea ducks.

14. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

High thirties and rain / snow mix yesterday . Lot of slush ice . Be a while now for it to make new ice.
    Just as well. Fish in the freezer and lots of Trees to cut .

Yeah , you know it dropped hard when you notice that different reflection at sunrise on the water. About the time you notice your deeks are no longer bobbin and swinging with the wind.
    Then the dog starts givin you the same look the wife does when you walk in the house with your boots on.

Don't know about eatin sea ducks, but havin seals around would be cool. Maybe train them to bring in firewood for the stove and get the mail.
    Prolly have to put linoleum down over the hard wood though, so they could slide around.

15. Rich M

Rich M Scallywag

That's pretty good, linoleum would work just fine.

16. George Buck

George Buck Cabin Boy

Heading south to NSB tomorrow morning. Its a two day trip, stopping south of Rocky Mount NC. We will be in NSB until the end of March.
    Cold today at a high of maybe 20 degrees. Looking at the Ct. long range forecast into April today is going to be the coldest winter day of 2021 here in this part of Ct. Its cold through mid-February, then higher highs as the sun gets higher in the sky.
    Ice fishing is on for most everywhere other than the major lakes. And it starts to end in early March when the higher sun melts the shorelines and getting onto the ice requires a long board.
    If we get an east wind off of the ocean things warm up into the 30s quickly so its not a bad area to be in the winter excepting the occasional Nor'easter and power outages.

17. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Sounds like a good time to head south George.
    River system here still flowing good. Big lake still not iced over but it is making ice. Local lakes mostly slush on new ice, too sketchy to be out on.
    Have my eye on a couple of water draw ponds that they used to use to service locomotives years ago. Deeper than most local lakes and nice and tucked in out of the wind. Spring fed Couple more nights in the teens and we'll drill a couple holes to see what gives.
    About anything ,Be better than runnin the saw all day.

Have a good trip down to Rocky Mt. and on down to NSB.
    May not make it back down this spring due to work , but Ya never know.

Put some of those fish/shrimp in the box for me case I miss the chance.