1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

No Conceal Carry Permit Needed In Florida Anymore...

Discussion in 'In The News section, Local News and Information' started by Nautical Gator, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

No conceal carry permit needed anymore... if Florida bill passes

LAKE MARY, Fla. (FOX 35 ORLANDO)
    - A new bill filed for the 2020 state legislative session would end Florida’s conceal carry law as it stands and allow gun owners to carry without a permit.

Lake County Republican and State Representative Anthony Sabatini introduced the bill on Tuesday to turn the state into a, so-called, Constitutional Carry state.

upload_2019-10-5_16-15-42.png

"You don't have to ask the government for a permission slip before you conceal carry," said Sabatini. "Why should they have to pay just to defend themselves from an attacker."

Basically, if you own a gun you’d be able to carry it in public. The bill would continue to not allow carrying in certain places like courthouses, and Sabatini said it would not change any of the current rules to purchase such as age limits and background check requirements.

Constitution Carry is actually allowed in more than a dozen US states, and Sabatini feels it’s keeping true to the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

"This is a bill about making everyday law-abiding Americans more able to defend themselves if they wish,” said Sabatini.

The current Florida Conceal Carry rules require residents pass a gun safety class in order to get their carry permit. Under Sabatini’s bill, it appears that requirement too would be gone.

The bill also includes changes to age limits for carrying a gun and changes to rules regarding out-of-state permit holders and reciprocity; a topic that's drawn concern from gun control advocates in the past.

Whether the bill becomes law is up to the state legislature next year. (edited)

You can view the bill's full language here (PDF).

http://www.fox13news.com/news/no-co...3BGLPTlt3bt3TH1QDoZhj7wx0A5xKrBj1Op5JcHSi9PBA

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Hmmm. I wonder how states that currently have reciprocity agreements to honor other state carry permits will deal with a “constitutional carry” state that no longer uses “carry permits”?
    For instance, before we changed our residency to FL, I was still able to legally carry in Fl because I had a per it from GA. Now that I am a FL resident, GA will honor my FL carry permit. As does TX and all the other states I regularly travel to. If FL does away with the permitting process, I wonder if I would be able to carry in Ga and those other state any more.
    I’ll have to research that.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  3. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I have a permit in CT and their reciprocity is with, I think, only two other states in the midwest somewhere?
    Now that I live in Florida I got a permit here and their reciprocity is with most of the southern east coast and gulf!

4. 311sarge

311sarge Powder Monkey

Hmm. Will be interesting to see if this goes through or not.

5. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

While there seems to be areas of merit in just such a bill, my concern is the elimination of gun safety/education requirements. Whether this gets traction or not I would support a gun safety/education requirement prior to the issue of any state drivers license or I.D., regardless of whether they intend to carry a weapon or not. Ignorance of firearms and when to shoot/ when not to have led to many injuries/death/criminal charges that could be lessened with instruction and education. Plus familiarity of firearms would go far in reducing some of the ignorant anti-2nd amendment comments we are regularly exposed to. Very important thread, thanks Sam.

6. First thing I did when I moved down was apply for my carry permit!

7. CDB

CDB Greenhorn

I saw the article, interesting thought process. I have been a conceal carry for a long time in the state of Fl. I am not sure if open carry is the safest concept. First how would it affect our local law enforcement in regular day to day dealings with the public, does anyone with a gun attached to there hip become a cause for suspension. Also big mouth idiots that feel the need to provoke or escalate public disputes due to the current gun climate in today’s America. Last in my humble opinion, carrying a fire are is a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY that I pray to god I never have to use, conceal carry does not advertise the presence of your resolve to stay safe and therefore you may have the ability to avoid further escalation in some situations without the need to use deadly force... With open carry there is no element of surprise, it is what it is, will it deter some would be perpetrators, probably , or maybe give them more resolve in there plan of attack. I still think common since, and situational awareness is your best defense in avoidance of this type of situation, it does pose some deep thought though on what is the right fit in today’s society.

8. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

I agree with that, If a criminal sees the gun, they could plan to disarm you. I would never expose my gun, always concealed. keeping the element of surprise. with that said, I would not hesitate to be the one who takes it out "killing the criminal" that is in the act of harming or killing others. (if you take it out, you better use it) and don't give anyone the chance of firing at you for saying stop.

9. Shrimp Gritter

Agreed, concealed gives the citizen a much better chance to thwart a thug. As the old saying goes “accuracy wins the fight”. With that said CCW citizens benefit greatly from practicing safety, shooting, stances, trigger discipline, scenarios, visualization, and movement when faced with a situation ( such as to the left when facing a right-handed shooter and visa-versa). Staying vigilant and “watching your six” can prevent many of us from becoming “lambs (victims) in this modern-day world of wolves (thugs)” in which we live.

10. Shrimp Gritter

I did not perceive the article to promote “open-carry”, but to allow citizens to carry firearms without needing a permit and it’s initial and ongoing renewal costs. I 100% agree with your statement “common sense and situational awareness “.

11. CDB

CDB Greenhorn

Yea these are different times then what most of us grew up in... SAD