1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Night Mangroves

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by adallas, Apr 9, 2019.

1. adallas

adallas Pirate
    Fishing Chatter

What month is the Best night time Mangrove month? Also do they ever move to the shallower reefs if so what months. I have never caught a mangrove offshore out of Ponce. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am mostly drifting. I could use any advice.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

you can find Mano's around any structure... inshore they start around July.
    Offshore ask Mike LOL
    go out during a full moon, around June, July, August, September
    anchor do not drift for them

3. adallas

adallas Pirate
    Fishing Chatter

I havent really targeted them off shore. What is a good water depth. I have 21 foot boat and typically fish party grounds and in closer. Have been out to mango hole and 1800 rock just not sure best depths. Thank you.

4. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

I've caught a few good ones in 90 ft but have seen them shallower and deeper.

Think folks use too big of bait and hooks. A 4/0 circle and grunt plug will catch plenty.

5. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

I catch them mostly on natural bottom but I pull several around the artificial reefs too. I always fish for them with the same rig. 4-8 oz weight depending on current, 7-8' of 50# floro leader, 5/0 circle. Bait of choice is grunt chunks.

6. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

Most of my fishing is between 65-75'. You don't have to run deep to find them.

7. adallas

adallas Pirate
    Fishing Chatter

Live bottom or Artificial Wrecks?

8. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

Live bottom is by far the biggest producer for me but I do get several from artificial structures.

9. alex23

alex23 Pirate

Just curious if your main line is braid.

10. Rocky1789

Rocky1789 Powder Monkey

I have caught them in deep and shallow always around structure

11. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

On the rod I usually target them with I have 80# mono.

alex23 likes this.
  12. kayakmike

kayakmike Treasure Hunter

great table fair, specially under 15"

13. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

I run 50 or 65# braid with 60# topshot and 40# leader for grovers. May drop to 30# if the fish are small or being picky.

I do chum but not with a chum block, throw a handful of chunks or small bait fish a time or two and see if any come up to eat them. Fun fishing for them up top.

14. reellivin25

reellivin25 Pirate

Thanks for the info, too much chum will just bring the sharks in

15. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

I've heard folks say not to use menhaden-based chum cause it pulls the sharks. That's your standard chum block.

We often get kings in the chum with the snappers. They like pieces of fish too.

16. meccalli

meccalli Pirate in the making

50-70ft is usually good mangrove territory, ledges and rockpiles. You can chum em up, and it's just yellowtailing from there.

17. alec ribbink

alec ribbink Newbie

I fished the party grounds last year for mangs with no luck. I was using a 20ft fluoro 30lb leader with a #4 circle hook and no weight. Floating back chunks free
    line while chumming. I feel like i did everything right and they just weren't there. Anybody doing any good on them this year?

18. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

We have had pretty good luck with them this year. I catch mine on the bottom though. These were over the last few montgs out of ponce in the 13-22 mile range. Mostly off of natural bottom. Grunt chunks are the bait of choice. 20190302_093608-1.jpg 20190518_092148.jpg 20190302_164036.jpg 20190422_155040.jpg 20190518_170510.jpg

19. meccalli

meccalli Pirate in the making

Beautiful fish! Could you share your technique? With technique I'm interested to know whether you keep your sinker on the bottom or up a few cranks and how do you position your boat relative to the structure you're fishing.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  20. mkyota1

mkyota1 Seaworthy

Thank you. I try to fish mostly natural bottom. I position right on top of it and drop with enough weight to be pretty close to straight up and down. I leave the weight on the bottom and bow the rod tip to the waves to keep it on the bottom. 6-8' 50# floro and a 5/0 circle. Usually 6-8oz weight.

I use a gps trolling motor to "anchor" over a spot. If no action in a few minutes I reposition or move entirely. I don't wait for the fish to come if the action is slow. Hope that helps. I definitely dont consider myself an expert but we do catch a few. I am still trying to dial them in and figure them out always trying new setups and baits to see if it works any better.

Nautical Gator likes this.