1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

N Ga Mt Bow Season 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by mak, Oct 4, 2020.

1. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Got back to N GA Friday. Had to deal with water heater not working and some other chores so didn’t hunt until this morning. Decided not to do any scouting and potentially stir things up, plus after ten years I’ve figured out their regular routes and paths. Hung my stand nearer the top of the hill this time. Usually if I go low I watch the deer travel parallel to the ridge near the top just out of range. If I sit near the top then I watch them travel nearer the bottom of the hill just out of range...
    One went by low at 8:15. About 60 yards through stuff thick enough I wouldn’t chance a shot with an arrow. Tried the bleat call repeatedly and each time it would stop but never changed direction. Looked like a big doe, at least not much for antlers if there were any. I had forgotten my binoculars. Spent the next 45 minutes second-guessing my decision for stand location.
    Then at about 9:00 I heard something moving quick toward me. Blind spot right on other side of tree were 5 big doe. 20 yards away coming my way. Wind blowing wrong direction and they winded me as they moved just a little closer. Spooked, jumped, ran in circles, and sticking heads in air... all but one ran back other direction. I quickly raised and fired at the one that hadn’t moved and was still sticking her nose in the air. Unfortunately and stupidly I was leaning 2” too far forward and didn’t take the swing/path of the crossbow limbs like I am always (previously) careful about... missed the easy 20 yard shot of course. Luckily the cam just missed or grazed the tree but it took out three expensive arrows. Broke and knocked one out of the quiver and cut the other two in half just above the fletching. Found the shot arrow with the nock missing.
    :knocking my head:Aaaaaghhh! Oh well, will give it another shot in the morning. Actually, Oct 5 last year is when I ventilated my second deer that season.
    9C7EC417-BA82-4A01-AE36-7752435C5921.jpeg

Bossman and Nautical Gator like this.
  2. 311sarge

311sarge Master Gunner

Kinda just goes along with the rest of this year at this point.. lol. Hope things get better.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

at least your out in the woods. something big is coming your ways. Good Luck. Thumbsup1:::1
    deer_1f98c.png

4. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Well glad to see that you're up there giving it a shot. This afternoon should be the evening for you.

5. mak

Thread Started By

Probably just going to hunt mornings for a while. I never see much up here in the evenings and, especially with a bow, I don’t like the idea of having to search for one late into the night... I’ll start going out in the afternoons too once I get desperate enough. Before I retired I would take advantage of every hour of daylight when I only had a few days available. Now I can be more selective. :D

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. mak

Thread Started By

Friend came to hunt with me this morning. Set his stand up yesterday so he was in the spot to ambush them if they were moving across the low side of the hill and I stayed to cover the upper side of the hill. Only about 75 yards apart on a diagonal but can’t see each other due to thickness of vegetation.
    Zero percent chance of rain but it started to drizzle as soon as I got my climber to the top of the tree and didn’t stop for the next couple hours... didn’t see anything until just before 9:00. I had actually just PM’d Sam saying I hadn’t seen anything and as I put phone in my pocket I saw one on the hill below me... Was moving East to west parallel to the ridge about 50 yards away. Easy shot with a firearm but to many branches and brush to chance the shot with an arrow. Besides, it was exactly where it needed to be to walk right past my buddy. As it got past me I could see it went on alert as it crossed into the area my friend had been stumbling around before dawn. Even though we had some reflectors up he had still gotten turned around and fumbled around in circles more than was ideal... Anyway, it was now out of my line of sight and had gotten right beside my friend, and was just 15 yards up the hill from him. Perfect open shot and right when he had decided it was time to zip his coat... Smiley Laughing025::1 Ha! Had completely caught him off guard and busted him when he stood up and zipped.
    The doe ran up the hill on a diagonal back toward me blowing, stopping, looking back, etc. When it finally came back into view it was 35 yards directly in front of me. Had some flight paths to get a shot but it moved through too quick for me to line up a shot. As it got near the top of the hill it looked like it was going to angle even more back toward me and then parallel the ridge and walk past me about 20 yards away. I turned and lined up waiting for a shot but unfortunately as it was coming through some thick stuff it turned more toward the top and went over the ridge. All I could see was the head going by as it walked along parallel just on the other side of the ridge. Probably 50 yards or so.
    Oh well, better than seeing nothing and more material to harass my friend about.

7. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

Glad you are getting out - I can totally relate to the zipper fiasco. Motionless for 4 hours and then move and that's exactly when the deer shows up.

You've got some decent numbers in the area, only a matter of time.

8. mak

Thread Started By

Well, started out looking promising with a couple close encounters but that did a quick turnaround... Have hunted the past two mornings and seen nothing aside from a few squirrels and birds. Usually covered up with Turkey this time of year so that in itself is odd. At least I heard one this morning. Haven’t been out to try any afternoons/evenings yet.
    Have had the phone with panoramic photo feature forever and just tried it for the first time this morning. Looking at it after the fact works better in the mode where you can bring it up to normal size and use the mouse to pan left or right. Pretty neat. Will have to try it again one time right before I come down and get a full 360 by standing and turning. The one below was held in front of my face and turned to each side until my shoulder came into view.
    By the time 10:00 rolls around I’m not optimistic for seeing anything and start playing on the phone some... Tried a new app called PictureThis which allows you to take a pic of a tree or plant and it will automatically identify it. I was not only amazed by how well it worked, but also by the large variety of trees just surrounding my stand. I was fairly certain I knew the ID of quite a few, but was unsure of many others. Based on the ones I knew for sure, I didn’t have any misidentification by the app. It worked not only for individual leaves, photos of portions of the branches and even just the tree trunks on a few I tried. Just fooling around in my stand I came up with all the following that I could see within 20-30 yards: white oak, red oak, black oak, white pine, persimmon, black gum, sourwood, birch, elm, big leaf maple, red maple, hickory, red alder, poplar, chestnut(have to go back and check that, thought those were wiped out), sassafras, southern crabapple, mountain laurel.
    7D51CDB5-3F69-4F6A-8FF2-E39123346F7A.jpeg

Rich M and Nautical Gator like this.
  9. I’ll take a back strap:)

10. mak

Thread Started By

Not looking good for that request.:(
    While no doubt better than going to work, two more morning and one afternoon seeing no deer sucks! I see more deer when I’m out fishing down in Flagler.
    Last night as soon as I got my climber to the ground one started blowing and carrying-on about 50 yards below me. Already too dark for me to see though unless it was within 30 yards. Had a coyote go running by me at 8:15 this morning, then 5 minutes later went running back the opposite direction (where the deer would normally be coming from).
    oh well, guess it’s time to scout some this afternoon and hang another stand. Odd because I’m in an area that has consistently been where the deer travel through the past ten or so years. Tons of acorns everywhere. Maybe they just aren’t moving much. Haven’t even seen the usual Turkey every morning.

11. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

After getting bumped a few times, they probably eating where it is safe. Betcha they haven't moved too far.

ML starts tomorrow. Rifle the following week.

12. mak

Thread Started By

Yep, looks like three days of rain though. Not as dedicated as I used to be, plus I’m no longer restricted to weekends;) Up here after blackpowder I usually go back to a bow so I can take does.

13. mak

Thread Started By

Going to have to cut our stay up here at our cabin short, and make a run out to TX Wednesday, so I had a couple more mornings to try to get something for the freezer. 5% chance of rain this morning but once again it was a steady rain from 6:30 when I got in the stand until around 8:00. Weird because it didn’t even show up on radar.
    Carried one of my muzzleloaders since the season began this past Saturday but I haven’t been out due to all the rain.
    At 7:45 I turned my head to look down the hill to my left and got busted. Saw one about 30 yards below me, staring up in the air and up the hill at me... It blew and at least three ran off West back where they had come from. Figured I had screwed my chance for this morning but at about 8:15 it happened again... I had concentrated watching in front and to my right in case they tried to cross farther up the hill. This one was by itself and once again stepped out and was staring right at me. I held still and waited to see if it would lose interest in the blob in the tree. When it stepped forward and passed a small diameter tree, I tried to swing my rifle around. Only managed to get it pointed the right direction but not fully shouldered. Frozen again waiting on it to look away. As soon as it turned its head forward I shouldered the rifle and watched as it tensed up and started to bolt. Fortunately I was able to get the sights lined up. I guess I should say luckily because when I have my contacts in I’ve reached the age where I can’t focus on the front and rear sights... it’s just a blur. If I do it quick enough I can see both sights well for a split second. Luckily I only had a split second to aim since it was hunched to run, and I didn’t have time to hold thinking about the shot and lose focus.
    By the time the smoke cleared and the shot echo stopped, I was thinking I had missed. Wasn’t able to see the deer’s reaction, see direction it went, or hear it drop. Fortunately it was a good lung shot and left a huge trail nearly a hundred yards.
    Will give it one more try tomorrow morning and see if I can’t get another in the freezer before we have to leave. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until Dec.

Rich M likes this.
  14. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

Good deal!

You wearing a face net? I find that with a face net (gave up on the paint years ago), spook less critters - ducks or deer.

15. mak

Thread Started By

No I wasn’t. I used to wear one but never saw a difference. Need to give one a try again though. I think Im going to hunt the lower stand tomorrow.

16. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

I feel it makes a big diff for me cause I can't hear em, so looking around more is how I hunt.

mak likes this.
  17. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I just set up my feeder, now I'm ready for some buck crossings in front of me lol

upload_2020-10-14_17-47-53.png

shrimpmansteve, Mboat and mak like this.
  18. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

They can't help but cross there. Smiley Signs107::1

19. mak

Thread Started By

Like the lady that called in to the radio to complain about why the state put deer crossings right there in the middle of the interstate.

Nautical Gator and Rich M like this.
  20. Congrats on finally getting one!