1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

My Diy Kayak Safety Light

Discussion in 'DIY - Rigging Your Kayak' started by Florida Fish Hunter, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Florida Fish Hunter

Florida Fish Hunter Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

I have been doing a lot of night fishing here lately off of a jon boat to beat the heat and not have to deal with the boating traffic of the day. With that said I want to start going out at night with the kayak so I needed a 360 degree stern light to be legal and make myself visible to any incoming boat traffic at night. After doing some research online I came across information that states that a light of 54 lumens or greater will meet the 2 mile visibility requirement. I feel comfortable that the Ozark 100 lumens lantern with 360 degree visibility will meet my requirements in both function and cost for this DIY build. This video is just a simple display of me putting this light together that will mount on my cooler/crate.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

3. David Carter

David Carter Junior Member

Great solution! Great video!

4. fourtogo

fourtogo Newbie

I used a Pelican Safety Flashlight , runs on 3ea C-batteries . 6 night trips still bright and well seen in the dark . Added bonus I'd it will glow even after turning it off . Water proof mine safe in case you go down under Bahaha . And that tape on candy cane . Is the same tape that is used on commercial aircraft black boxes . Yes I know there not black there International Orange . That tape has amazing reflection powers .

IMG_2671.JPG

akapiglet and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  5. reellivin25

reellivin25 Blackbeard

I need one of those rod holder too

6. fourtogo

fourtogo Newbie

Reellivin there are some YouTube videos . That's where I got my plans , 40-50$ of 1 1/2 PVC pieces and pipe , I used truck bed liner paint << very tuff stuff . I would say the only real hard part was heating the one piece the fits in the molded rod holder on Kayak . I recently added a section to move rod rack back a bit . While sitting in seat it's easier to reach back for the rods .

7. Vectorman

Vectorman Pirate

Great video, I always enjoy how you guys come up with simple strait forward solutions and personalize your kayaks to your own liking. Keep it up.

Florida Fish Hunter likes this.
  8. fourtogo

fourtogo Newbie

To flare the ends I used a small glass apple juice bottle to open the top each rod holder .you heat the 1 1/2 pvc evenly . Have on hand a spray bottle with plan water . The spray is quickly cool the pvc pipe and it will hold that shape . This makes sliding rods a lot easier

9. Great ideas to brighten up a variety of night time activities.

10. mmunier1

mmunier1 Pirate

Looks like a great idea thanks for the tips

11. Florida Fish Hunter

Florida Fish Hunter Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

This is an update to a previous video I posted here where I modified a lantern for use as a kayak safety light. I now use a 3d printed base plate to mount my lantern for an easy on / off mounting solution preserving the integrity of the light assembly itself.

12. btatar

btatar Pirate

wow that looks sweet.

13. landbaron

landbaron Greenhorn

great picture! Looking forward to going out when they fly the Falcon 9 Heavy

14. neal gamby

neal gamby Pirate

Great job on the video.

15. Mufflerbearings

Mufflerbearings Master Gunner

Hmmmmm. Thanks for the tip. I think I can mange to make that.
    Thanks for sharing.

16. Roberts Stuff

Roberts Stuff Newbie

love the rod holder, will try to find on you tube and make 1 or 2 for my kayaks

17. Big Duke Six

Big Duke Six Newbie

Great idea on the rod holder!